What can I grow under a Deodor Cedar?

I live in Southern California. I would like to insert a little color in my garden under a 50' Deodor cedar. I planted a bougainvillea, it just sits there without color, I planted several red oleanders, they have not grown an inch in 2 hears. The only thing that survives is a bunch of Meyer Asparagus Fern.

The area is fairly open and gets sun most of the day. Plenty of water from my drip system.

Any ideas for some tough, colorful shrub that gets along with conifers?

Reply to
Walter R.

A small to mid-sized azalea called 'Purple Splendor' related to R. poukahense (Korean azalea) will likely thrive in such a location, though you don't say what zone you're in so it's hard to say for sure what shrubs might suit.

For little off-season flowers you could plant Cyclamen hederofilium often found under cedars in their natural range.

If your zone is right for them, large Japanese anemomes provide big leafy presence spring & summer & large flowers summer & early fall, then die back until spring.

Several kinds of grape hyacinths would also flourish in conditions you describe.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat