What can I grow in a 1" wide, 4" deep hole?

hi guys!

I know nothing about gardening and my back garden is just concrete :(

In the middle though is a hole where a rotary clothesline was.

It's full of mud and so a small weed has grown in it, lovely!

What can I plant in its place, I want the biggest/tallest thing possible.

It's for a bit of a laugh and not expecting much but anything better than a weed would be good :)

1" wide, 4" deep. Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Leigh

Reply to
lellis2k

Fill with K-Y and have at it... wait and see what sprouts.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Nothing much. There is too little room for roots to develop and it will get baked dry whenever it is hot or the sun is on it. You might get some small plant to grow in it that is suitable for rockeries etc, that is one that will stand drying out but it won't look very interesting. Get some good sized pots or tubs instead.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Where are you? What is your climate? Even in the UK, there are significant variations in climate between the north and south and between the Channel and the Irish Sea.

Also, what is below the 4"? More concrete, dirt, gravel?

This is NOT an impossible situation. I have some nice plants growing -- and flowering -- in small spaces.

Reply to
David E. Ross

A plant called "Hens and Chicks" may work?

Nad

However, one inch wide is not much room. Could try planting a seed and see what happens.

Ok again a different link for he's and chicks.

Nad

Can't you break up some of the concrete around the hole? Give you a lot more scope for choice of plants.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson