What Can & Can't I plant near each other?

I am putting out Watermelon, Squash ( Butternut & Acorn), pumpkin ( small cooking & large decorative ) and of course cucumbers. I seem to recall my mother telling me that I should never plant something next to something else but alas, the little grey cells are not what they used to be...
Any suggestions?
Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin
--
This outgoing email was scanned by
Norton Antivirus Corp. Edition

Google "companion planting".
For a start, you might try http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniques/vegetables/vcomp.asp
- Bill

I just pulled up all the spinach in the garden, bagged it, and threw it in the freezer. In its place, I put watermelon. Location is between tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. Gimme a chart for this combo. Dave

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the seeds to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting. Thanks, Johnny

Short answer is that the seed you just planted already contains the DNA hard-wiring for this year's crop. A pumpkin will just be a pumpkin no matter what it is planted next to. However, if you plant it close to another vegetable that can cross-pollinate with it, the seeds *from the cross-pollination* will no longer be a pumpkin. If you save and plant them next year, you will get some hybrid off-spring that probably won't make you too happy.
Here's a thread that goes into some of the aspects of cross-pollination: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/heirloom/msg0411503129055.html

Supposed I save some seed from this years watermelon crop. Am I gonna have waterpenos or tomamelons as jalapenos and tomatoes planted either side of the watermelons? Spicy water melons and rich, acidy melons. Anything goes with beer, I guess. Dave

WHOOHOO! And if it doesn't? Pickle it!

Persephone
<Persephone> wrote in message

HA!