What Can & Can't I plant near each other?

I am putting out Watermelon, Squash ( Butternut & Acorn), pumpkin ( small cooking & large decorative ) and of course cucumbers. I seem to recall my mother telling me that I should never plant something next to something else but alas, the little grey cells are not what they used to be...

Any suggestions?

Ron H. in West Central Wisconsin

Reply to
Ron H

Google "companion planting".

For a start, you might try

Bill

Bill Rose

I just pulled up all the spinach in the garden, bagged it, and threw it in the freezer. In its place, I put watermelon. Location is between tomatoes and jalapeno peppers. Gimme a chart for this combo. Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Ron H" wrote in news:4650749b$0$4842$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroup-binaries.com:

Are you worried about cross-pollination? Don't. Unless you save the seeds to plant next year, it won't matter.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On May 21, 7:22 am, FragileWarrior to plant next year, it won't matter.

Please tell me more about cross-pollination. Sounds interesting. Thanks, Johnny

Reply to
Johnny

Johnny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u36g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

Short answer is that the seed you just planted already contains the DNA hard-wiring for this year's crop. A pumpkin will just be a pumpkin no matter what it is planted next to. However, if you plant it close to another vegetable that can cross-pollinate with it, the seeds *from the cross-pollination* will no longer be a pumpkin. If you save and plant them next year, you will get some hybrid off-spring that probably won't make you too happy.

Here's a thread that goes into some of the aspects of cross-pollination:

FragileWarrior

waterpenos or tomamelons as jalapenos and tomatoes planted either side of the watermelons? Spicy water melons and rich, acidy melons. Anything goes with beer, I guess. Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote in news:fqp4i.17742$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

WHOOHOO! And if it doesn't? Pickle it!

Reply to
FragileWarrior

You have to be over 18 to talk about "that".

Persephone

Reply to
Persephone

HA!