What are these January-sprouting bulbs? (Portland, OR)

Here's a couple local pages about the evil bittercress:

(I'm not sure which species of "Cardamine" is taking over my yard, but the pictures on these pages give the general idea.)

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schneider

summer,

Reply to
DiSansom

seems to be edible. i like eating the enemy.

Ann Burlingham

Ann Burlingham

It is indeed the beginning of Spring in the Pacific Northwest, as far as I'm concerned. My primroses have been blooming for a week. My callalilies began blooming last week and my crocuses and daffodils are up, although not in bloom, yet. I expect them to be blooming soon. Oh, and my daisies are blooming wildly. Yeah!

Marg

Reply to
pandora

[snip url to pictures]

Oh, yes, I have that. Attractive little thing, isn't it? It doesn't seem to win the fight against some of the other, less attractive weeds I get, so I bear it no animosity.

I may have to try it in a salad, isn't Ann useful?

Reply to
Kathryn Burlingham

-- Ornata

Reply to
Ornata

An update, if anyone cares: it turns out they're Spanish Bluebells. Give yourself a pat on the back if that was your guess. :)

sure do take up a lot of space, but I'm not too bothered, as our front "yard" is just covered in bark mulch anyway. If they interfere with our new Star Magnolia or Mexican Oranges, though, I'll start kicking some bluebell butt.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Schneider

They will have absolutely no effect on your magnolias or oranges. Just leave them alone until all the leaves turn brown, then trim and wait for next years bloom. I've had clumps in my garden around roses, St John's Wort, pansies, spieria, lilacs, etc. and they've never caused a problem.

You may want to thin them every 5 - 6 years. Just dig deep enough to find the bulbs, seperate them, and replant.

Reply to
fran