What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

Page 2 of 4
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:18:43 +1000, David Hare-Scott wrote:

I *think* I have 3/4" PVC feeding the poly:

What would you suggest I connect to this elbow?

I was *thinking* of cutting off the elbow, and connecting a "T", and then from the T, screwing on *two* garden hose male threads (I figure if one is good, two must be better).
PS: I'm partial to garden hose connections because I can remove them easily when I get my kitchen-scrap compost location back in the winter.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:44:57 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

She "strew" them (strowed them?), so they're all scattered about.
(She doesn't have a whole lotta' patience like I do.)
Danny D. wrote:

If I were you I'd connect a fitting that had a shut off valve there, and then connect your tubing to the shut-off valve. :D
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:30:26 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Ah, a shut-off valve makes a lot of sense!
I'll stop by the hardware store and buy a couple (one for each nursery).
Do you think I can just pull out the green water restrictor with pliers and shove the slip-fit shutoff valve onto the existing white pipe coming out of the elbow?
Danny D. wrote:

I'm not sure .. you might have luck getting that green pc out if the glue wants to let go, then again, you might end up breaking the elbow fitting it's attached to, which would create a bigger headache to fix.
If it were me, I would just insert a new section of 1/2 inch tubing (
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/87/875f9bfb-bc06-442d-84da-a7c5c423e7ab_300.jpg ) into the existing green fitting there .. maybe a foot or so long, and buy fittings where I could attach a shut off valve (here is one kind:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a5/a5232fb7-83fe-4463-a0de-26085a8d7e8e_300.jpg
/ here is another: http://www.dripirrigation.com/system/pgphotos/377/tdsphoto/Ball-valve-comp.png?1331253321 ) to the 1/2 inch tubing. You can get the shut off valve that attaches directly to the 1/2" tubing, or add fittings of your choice so that you can Y off in another direction, use T fittings at that point and add 1/2" tubing in another direction, and go from there.
So it would look like this ... the elbow > green fitting>1/2" tubing (about a foot long)>shut off valve> longer pc of 1/2" tubing on the other side of the shut off valve. This pc of tubing acts as a main water line so you want it long so you can lay it around where your garden is, then you can run 1/4" dripper tubing from your main line. You can use the shut off valve as a pressure regulator, too, by simply not turning it on all the way which will reduce how much water goes through your drippers, plus you can use adjustable sprinklers to water just at ground level, or bigger sprinklers to get larger areas. On my front yard set-up I even have a BIG sprinkler attached to the system that waters my entire front grass, while the flower bed sprinklers just water their rerspective plants, only.
Sorry for being so wordy .. just hope it helps. :)
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Oren wrote:

haaha well .. you can do just about anything you want to do with these drip irrigation parts.
hey, if I can do it, ANYONE can do it! :-)
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Oren wrote:

Which part did you suggest? I got lost reading all the posts and skipped through a lot of discussion part...
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Oren wrote:

I'm all about making it simple! hahaha!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 14:29:44 -0700, Oren wrote:

You were totally right; the green thing would not budge.

They should make the garden hose nozzles out of that green stuff!
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:53:26 -0700, Oren wrote:

I have a lot of that poly stuff and none of them are working.
I'm pretty sure they're busted and old, and in some cases the sprinkler system isn't working.
Personally, I think the stuff is too fragile - but I don't have any experience other than I do have a garden hose hooked to the one feeding the Oleanders and the water only goes about 100 feet or so, because the tubing is so badly cut up.
Anyway, maybe I shouldn't deprecate it so much, but I just think it's too flimsy for my world. Of course, it would be a LOT more work for me to bury pvc for a few hundred feet of the Oleanders, so, I guess I should just hunker down and buy a roll of the poly stuff and replace all the bad parts.
Oren wrote:

That sounds like a good plan! I'm too lazy when it's hot and will patch everything unless it just won't work! LOL
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:35:13 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I don't like patching mainly because I won't understand how it's set up.
Of course, I don't like digging up buried lines either ... so that's why I have this 300' long run that hasn't been fixed yet.
Danny D. wrote:

If you're starting over, just leave it buried and start it all new from the source. :)
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Oren wrote:

I've never deliberately buried any of my tubing because every fall the leaves get used as mulch which eventually composts. I'm no expert at this by far, either. Just learned to do it based on what I needed at the time and what I could find to make it work. I know there is one old dripper hose that got buried from mulch and roots that I couldn't pull out if I paid the hulk to do it. LOL I just cut that line off and ran new line that I could get to. I guess that's a females solution, but I don't have the strength to pull and tug at those things very well. They get the best of me.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 16:53:42 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

That may be the simplest answer, but, I still need to tie (somehow) to the irrigation valves.
BTW, my tubes look like they were chewed on by an animal.
Do they hold up to animal teeth?
We have lots of coyote, quail, bunnies, deer, bobcats, squirrels, mice, etc.
On 6/27/2013 7:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:

I'm not really sure about that issue... I haven't had anything like that happen with my set up yet.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On 6/27/2013 5:43 PM, Danny D. wrote:

no. i get javelina, deer, and packrat holes in mine frequently. i'm not sure, but i think rabbits get to mine also, although i haven't caught them at it.
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 10:04:48 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

If I were a small mammal or rodent, and I saw dripping water under a bush when it hasn't rained in six months, I'd use it as a water fountain - and - if it were dry most of the time, I'd chew at it too, in order to get a few more drops of water.
So, I guess I need to bury my line once I fix it.
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:02:16 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Hi Natural, smoking-gun, girl,
I'm was pretty sure the 3/4" and 1/2" drip tubes along the entire 300 feet or so of oleander bushes used to be tied to the irrigation system - and I do see a 3/4" hose going into the ground at an irrigation box:

To follow through on your suggestion, I took a look by turning the irrigation valve on, and this started spurting out of the tube end:

There were only a few leaks, some of which look chewed, others holed:

But, the drip attachment thing seemed to be working fine nonetheless:

The problem is this 20 (or so) foot length couldn't possibly feed the entire length of the oleander bushes:

So I rooted about and found a 3/4" and a 1/2" broken tube under the oleander canopy, so I put a garden hose connection onto each of those:

An audible waterfall-like hiss came out of the larger tubing, so, I was able to ascertain it was badly mauled only about 15 feet from where the garden hose fed it:

But, nothing came out of the smaller hose, that I could find:

QUESTION: Do you think animals chewed up these tubes? (Are they susceptible to animals chewing on them?)

On 6/27/2013 7:26 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Those leaks look like where 1/4" tubing might have been connected at one time and broke off. If it were "me", I'd just cut out the bad section and insert a repair pc... I'm lazy.. I don't want to replace the entire thing if I don't have to. If the hole is a circle, you might could just plug it with hole plugs you can buy, too.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\