wet compost

i have a composter that i regular put in kitchen waste and grass trimings the problem i have is that it is very wet.....my composter is a type that dosent have any slits in it to let in the air . i was wondering if i put a few air holes in to the bin this would solve my problem
any Ideas
Many thanks to all that reply
Graham
Compost needs air to work properly. Some drain /air holes would help.
Gary

On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:00:28 +0100, "graham"

Vent holes will help. I probably would not bother unless the heap has a bad smell. Adding some dry stuff, like dried leaves, sawdust, dry grass, etc will help too.

Another dry material you could add is shredded newspaper. Avoid anything with a glossy surface, and magazine inserts because they contain unwanted chemicals.
Regards.

keep a pile of dried leaves or wood chips by the composter. Add in equal amounts by weight when you add the waste.

On 5/20/04 10:40 AM, in article
wrote:

What I do is to add a layer of soil after I add the vegetables...the vegetables I add are getting very ripe...stinky even, (I add liquid-old cold coffee for example or water from boiled potatoes (unless I am making soup) and let the veggies break down. (In a bucket under the sink, transferring to another bucket outside when full). When the one outside is full I then add to the compost pile. I don't like the smell but to worms it is a "gourmet lunch". Now, on top of the soil I have a plate that I top up with water. As the water evaporates it keeps the compost cool. (If it gets too hot from the sun it will kill the worms, actually I try to keep the sun off the compost bin). You see I want to encourage worm growth and worms have a gizzard and need soil to digest their food. Worms need to come to the surface to mate and multiply...under the plate! It is a well known fact that worms can turn rotting vegetation into the most excellent plant food. Thats what I do and it works for me. Good luck. Gary Fort Langley BC Canada
To reply please remove...yoursocks...