well once again, AOL has REALLY done it.........

Well, once again, AOL has REALLY done it..........last time they screwed with things and "made things easier and more SPAM protection! WOO HOO!!!!!" they effectively blocked out literally HUNDREDS, no, THOUSANDS of incredible gardening friends on the newsgroups, especially THIS ONE. I lost so many contacts with people I'd smoozed and written to about gardening and such, over a period of about eight years. "The other Marilyn", the list was extensive. And where I realized that some people weren't inclined to even bother to get an alternative means to subscribe to a newsgroup and even return, a lot of them DID. And that was neat too. I only had to watch for them. Or they e-mailed me directly and told me ?where did you go??? Other's honored me and said they were more aggravated that they couldn't read some of my rambles (blush, dragging toe in dirt) and were throwing in the trowel. Well, yesterday it started. I had just gotten a message with a JPG attached from Tomkanpa, asking me about a rhodie, and I did what I always did. I just hit "reply" and answered his question, leaving in the jpg, and sent it. I got back almost immediately a message of undeliverability, and fatal errors and what not. No problem, they must be having a problem. So I erased the jpg, simply replied, with text only and sent it and zip, back again. undeliverable. alright.........they must just be having a problem in the servers or providers, wait and they'll work out. Then NEARTHMOM or Caryn e-mailed me yesterday and I got it fine, but when I hit reply, I got another message of undeliverable and fatal error and all that muck. hmmmm, yep, AOL. And now, someone who is extended family, out in Colorado called last night in need of a recipe before she left Saturday to see her mom, I complied and sent her the weblink, and sure enough (yes, I didn't realize until I got it back what her e-mail address WAS) her's was also AOL...................so now I have to wait and CALL her (at least I have HER phone number. I don't have all the wonderful folks phone numbers despite that I DO have some of their addresses so I will have to individually snail mail them, which I WILL........ya'll know me well enough that if there's a way, I'll find it. And I'll tell them to contact AOL and ask about putting a few people (me being one) on their "white list" which is what I just found out with my wonderful technician who works at VIC down in Knoxville who is soooo patient with me at times when I have technical problems). And start writing little letters and print out a few copies and mail them out over the next few days......hopefully AOL will see the error of their way with having such a harsh and strict policy on SPAM and realize they might have gone TOO far.
Cool and about to rain today, and change the weather to more fall like around here. I'm working on a ramble, which I have been for the whole season, and it's been hard, it really has. I'll send it soon, and I hope everyone is fine out there. E-mail me if you wanna and I'll answer you as I can, and catch you up.
It's leaf bag swiping time! madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking a hazy and blue-ish English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where the leaves are turning, the poison ivy is a beautiful burgundy crimson and the dogwoods are being stripped already of their bright red berries...........
(A)lways (O)ff (L)ine is nothing but a pile of B.S.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:28:58 -0700, "Starlord"
They spread their quality to T(rouble) and W(oe), aka Time Warner.
TW just switched something, I used to be on Adelphia. They give us a web site to find out how to make things work, the site says nothing can be done until November. The news server doesn't accept the old log-in. Eternal music and ads on hold on the phone.

And yet people STILL insist on using that POS service....go figure.....

<snip>
AOL would have to accept that they make errors first. I have to ask why you continue to use their service? I know people who are leg-shackled to their interface and can't fathom using a standalone web browser so they'd rather have alot of downtime and rules made for them, without their input, than to break free. Freedom is a good thing.
-- Tara

I don't think Maddie uses AOL. It's the persons she's trying to get to that are on AOL.
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Good catch, my error.
-- Tara
scfundogs wrote:

I DON'T use their services. there are still lots of my garden friends who DO. I'm just aggravated when I can't even reply a TEXT message when they send me a simple e-mail! I have subscribed to SuperNews to get all my alt.binaries.pictures.gardens newsgroup, all of rec.gardens posts and all of u.k. rec.gardening as well........costs me $5 a month, but well worth it. I pay V.I.C. in Knoxville for my internet service, and pay BellSouth for my ISDN line..........I'm FINE... maddie
WHY DON'T YOU MOVE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO A DIFFERENT PROVIDER? AOL IS EXPENSIVE, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICES IS AS WORSE AS NONE OTHER, AND THEIR RECORD IS NOT THAT GOOD.... gloria
madgardener wrote:

gloria wrote:

well, if I could suggest this to my many garden friends it would be up to them..............ah well.......... I rest my case..............nuff said, and I'm outa here for the weekend..........<g> madgardener who wouldn't use AOL if they gave me five free years of it..............................................................(not even their free software that clogs up my mailbox is used for more than returns to the landfill)
I use the AOL cd's out in my garden, I sick'm in the dirt at the edge of my iris beds and most of the dogs,etc. don't go into the bed as they don't known what is shineing light back at them.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Every time I get a new computer, the first thing I do is try and erase all traces of AOL. Like the AID's virus, it is almost impossible to get rid of. Even if I go into the file structure and erase everything with the AOL label, it is still impossible to get rid of. Rumor AOL evolved from Langley, VA., the home of the CIA. What a piece of CRAP. I have no idea what type of trojans, spyware, shitware etc. it leqaves behind. Avoid it like the plague. If anyone out there knows how to completely eradicade this garbage, please let us know.
F.J.