weird second year parsley

Page 2 of 2
On 05/24/2014 07:53 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Hi Brooklyn the First,
I took a close look at them yesterday. The leaves are really tiny. I think I will go with your recommendation and just pull them out. And, a packet of parsley seeds in around $1.50 or less.
I put my tiny seeds in a plastic bad full of compost. Then I shake the bag up. Then, I use my hand to grab a wad and toss it around. Kind of fun actually.
Thank you again for teaching me. I have a Black Thumb.
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 25/05/2014 5:19 AM, Todd wrote:

The cost of seed is irrelevant when considering reasons to save seed. Seed saved in your own garden will be acclimatised to your specific locality and not where the seed company grows their seed. It's about increased resilience of YUOR garden crops and increased self reliance. Or so I believe.
On 05/25/2014 04:46 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

Hi Fran,
Not sure how, genetically speaking, how collecting seeds would make them better for my area. But, definitely is more self reliant. Kind of fun too. I have been collecting my own Hollyhock seeds for years. A few times I have seen pretty Hocks and asked the owners if I could pinch a few seeds pods. I have some of the most beautiful flowers.
Thank you for teaching me. I have such a black thumb!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On 26/05/2014 2:09 PM, Todd wrote:

They adapt as they go through the cycle of sprouting, living, setting seed, dieing. Good old basic science of natural selection.
But, definitely is more

Nah. If you can grow anything at all you are just like the rest of us - you are in the learning phase. That goes on till you die (or it should)
On 05/26/2014 07:19 PM, Fran Farmer wrote:

Hi Fran,
I was thinking genetically identical. Of course they would not be. The better seeds would do better the next season.
My current Parsley has little green flowers on their tops.
How do I know when to pick them?
How do I store them?
Thank you for the help, -T

I like the variation:
"a plant out of place".
--
Dan Espen

Todd wrote:

It will develop star-shaped clusters of tiny flowers at the top of the stalks, after the petals fall off you will have clusters of green seed pods. When the pods are ripe is the time to harvest the seeds. As they ripen they will change colour to yellow-brown and get drier eventually releasing small black seeds. If the head is crumbly and you can rub it between your hands and get black seeds separating easily then you can collect the seed before it falls.
Google 'seed saving' for lots of information on how to collect and store seed of many kinds.

Thank you!
Do you know if is practical to think they will seed in time to be planted this year?
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Todd wrote:

Do you think if I were to ask you if can you tell me if your socks have holes would your answer be yes?

Hi David,
Of course it would! You know all and see all! :-)
Thank you for the help. I am slowly learning.
-T
--
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
Dan.Espen wrote: