Weeping Katsura problems

This past spring I planted a Weeping Katsura in a area of light shade and good soil. My soil type is heavy in clay, but I have been conditioning it to aid in drainage and organics. I live in zone 6.
The tree never really looked great although it did leaf out. I never got the beautiful fall colors. In fact over the last month the leaves turned brown and just fell off. Many of the new growth branches do not look well and some are dead.
It has been an abornally wet summer in SE PA. The the combination of too much water and planting shock causing the symtoms outlined?
Bob

good
aid in

the
brown and

are
much
Sounds likely. I don't find katsuras to be very drought tolerant, but they don't care for overly wet conditions, either. Good drainage is essential. We had a very dry and hot (for us) summer and the foliage on mine did much the same thing. FWIW, I don't find the weeping forms color up as well as the uprights - I have a Heronswood Globe that is containerized and still exhibitng nice fall color. My magnificum just gets a halfhearted golden yellow.
pam - gardengal