Weeds on greens?

Page 4 of 5

Good point. The perspective I have here is that potable water is a much more valuable resource to humans than we give it credit for. JMHO, of course, but better to let a tree burn, and release CO2, than to waste water putting out the fire.
crap:

Where I live, water is cheap and plentiful.
Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmare.
snipped-for-privacy@Horvath.net
My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the ultimate power in the universe."
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Manco

And it often works.

While it kills anything natural around it e.g. soil organisms, insects, natural plants, and leaves behind a residue of death (biocides).
--
- Billy

there's new products on the market and it's not quite the killer as you describe above. Demand for new products that don't cause harm to being green are in high demand and if that's what the people will buy, it will/is be produced.
Not sure what I use but my home and yard attracts many birds of severel species, it's a good thing I like worms though I do admitt the nightcrawlers are kinda creepy (unless I'm fishing) my leaves on my plants stay healthy until it's time for them to fall.
Read the package when you go shopping and you'll most likely find something out there that will work for you and is not full poison. But then I'm not looking for my yard to look like a golf course.
Donna in WA zone8

Corn gluten is used as a pre-emergent herbicide, and is organic, but one whiff of Dow, or Monsanto: "RUN"!.

Lawns were (are) a conceit of the rich, demonstrating that they could afford to leave some of their lands fallow. Understood or not, they are status symbols, and not very interesting ones at that.

--
- Billy
On 4/17/2010 4:59 PM, Fred Williams wrote:

http://www.putting-greens.com/types.html
I think they cut these things every day. That's got to be a PITA.
Frank wrote:

Also, golf greens are invariably a species of grass called "bent grass". There are several varieties: Washington bent, Creeping bent, etc. Planting, cultivating and caring for a bent grass plot makes doing the same thing with a bluegrass/fescue mix look like child's play. If you want to try it, make a physical barrier between your main lawn and the area for your green. Otherwise the bent grass will slowly merge into the bluegrass lawn, and make it look "ill" (bent grass is lower and lighter in color than bluegrass/fescue). Scotts used to have a magazine about lawn care, and one of the most frequently asked questions was on the lines of: "Help! My neighbor's bent grass lawn seed washed into my lawn during a heavy rainstorm, and now I have patches of bentgrass in my lawn. How can I get rid of it?" O. M. Scott's polite answer was "You can't". A true golf green as a part of your main lawn just doesn't sound like a good idea.
Of course, if your home's lawn IS bent grass, forget everything I just wrote above! :>)
Tony

Just get a robotic mower. (like the ROOMBA vacuum cleaner)

The topic is easily researched with Google.
You need a reel type mower. The article I read says mow every other day. Not really practical for a home owner.
Fred Williams wrote:

If you want a putting green be prepared for seeding, watering, fertilising, spraying, watering, cutting, rolling, aerating, cutting, mowing, watering, fertilising, seeding, paying, watering, fertilising, spraying, watering, cutting, aerating, cutting, paying, mowing, rolling, watering, fertilising, seeding, watering, fertilising, spraying, watering, cutting, aerating, cutting, mowing, watering, fertilising and paying.
And you will get to putt on it too. Sounds like fun.
David
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:23:39 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Link from astroturf.com: http://www.synlawn.com/artificial_grass_systems/golf_putting_greens_system
brooklyn1 wrote:

Thanks. I'll see if I can afford it.

Also see southwestgreens.com
JohnO wrote:

Thanks! Our local supplier: http://www.torontoputtinggreens.com/

Look forward to hearing how you get on with them.
Level a section of your lawn and lay down some indoor-outdoor carpeting on the section that will be used for putting. Hold the carpeting down with landscaping pins. Presto......... problem solved and no maintenance involved either!
Rich
EVP MAN wrote:

Thanks - sounds a good idea.

Weeds on the greens means they don't use herbicides, and IMHO that's terrific. No way to keep weeds off the greens without herbicides...although I suppose you could get intense about pulling them.
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:35:09 -0700 (PDT), Dinosaur_Sr

That's not true. There are various turf grasses that will choke out weeds. Once established golf courses use very little chemicals... it would be so costly to treat the acreage of an 18 hole course that hardly anyone could afford to play. It's costly enough just to mow, especially with the price of equipment and diesel nowadays. Golf courses are maintained by proper irrigation and constant mowing.