Weeds on greens?

Page 1 of 5
I've never seen weeds on greens, even on the cheapest of golf courses. So does that mean that the grass used for greens repels weeds or is it because of the skills of green-keepers?
The reason I ask, is because I would like to make part of my lawn suitable for putting on.
Would overseeding with green-type seed do, or do I have to clear a patch down to the earth (no big deal) and start afresh?
What seed would you recommend for Southern Ontario (Canada)?
tia
Fred
Of course golf course keepers use tons of chemicals to kill any weeds on the greens and fairways.

Roger that, and I'm not even a golfer.
Further to the subject of chemicals on grass: A friend introduced me to the following idea: When your child or grandchild is invited on a play date that involves playing on the lawn, FIND OUT whether the homeowners put chemical fertilizer on the grass. If they do, your child must not play on that lawn.
Asked in a polite,non-preachy way, this will not only elicit the required information, but the homeowners might be glad to learn that this is a health problem for children.
In message

cultural practices. Furthermore, amenity ground comes under much stricter control than agriculture and horticulture.
--
Alan Campbell

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:39:41 +0100, Alan Campbell

Golf greens are planted with grasses that choke out others... they're often not true grass at all but a kind of very low growing ground cover that is sturdy enough for golf greens but wouldn't hold up well to backyard traffic. For a home putting green use a synthetic... best is to actually play at a golf course... I'd not invest in a home putting green, it will get very little use if any.
On Apr 18, 7:39am, Alan Campbell

That's true. and some places do this, and at least in my experience, you will always get a few weeds on the greens, which is a good sign, IMHO. I wonder if they teach this in the greenskeepers programs in US universities?
One thing I have also seen is the herbicides damage the soil ecosystem, resulting in algal and fungal outbreaks attacking the greens as a result, for which they use even more chemicals.
Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn. Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

I think it's been some 20 years since Chemlawn operated under that name... they changed to Truegreen... "Chem" didn't go over too well. Back then on Long Island Chemlawn trucks were as visible as Good Humor trucks.
Most folks don't water lawns properly... really not possible without an automatic irrigation system.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.
BAR wrote:

Yup. Time (or PAST time) to rethink lawns, IMNSHO.
--
Jean B.

Not true... there is still exactly the same quantity of water available as when this planet was created... it's not possible to waste water. It is possible to waste protoplasm, BAR screw.

Depends where in the world you live. Down here in NZ there's a drought in the north, but plenty of water in my town. Not using it will just lead to reservoirs overflowing out to the sea.
For me, not watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the lawn!
says...

Depends where in the world you live. Down here in NZ there's a drought in the north, but plenty of water in my town. Not using it will just lead to reservoirs overflowing out to the sea.
For me, not watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the lawn!
and by keeping your surroundings green, the danger of fire is lowered. Nothing like dry and/or dead grass and brush around ones home and then some careless smoker or just a small spark from somewhere. This happens all the time. I'll stick with watering. Turf grass? Nay. But green enough.
Donna in WA
this crap:

Not to mention that a well watered lawn removes carbon dioxide from the air and returns oxygen.
Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmare.
snipped-for-privacy@Horvath.net
My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the ultimate power in the universe."
snipped-for-privacy@net.net wrote:

Which is it? Vote for the nightmare or repeal the nightmare?
You still hung up on plutocrat sock puppets? The DNC and the RNC have opted for cash. Repealing the nightmare requires "campaign finance reform".
--
- Billy
In article

Sorry, I do better at trimming the newsgroups next time.
--
- Billy
says...

Depends upon the location of the lawn.
Vegas, yes. Chicago, no.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

In DC I watered my lawn one summer, 1992, it cost me about $400 in water charges. I called the water company and asked them about it and they said that the cost was 1/3 coming in and 2/3 going out and that I could get a meter put on my sewer line for about $1200 dollars. I learned about grass cycle. And I donated $100 per year to the local VFD.

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult to keep monoculture of grass around your home?
In article

Our love of tidy but not very diverse yards is imprinted on us by our culture. The immaculate lawn, under siege from ecological writers every- where, developed in the mild and evenly moist climate of Great Britain. Its implications are deeply woven into our psyche. A lawn in preindustrial times trumpeted to all that the owner possessed enough wealth to use some land for sheer orna- ment, instead of planting all of it to food crops. And close-mowed grass proclaimed affluence, too:
a herd of sheep large enough to crop the lawn uniformly short. These indicators of status whis- per to us down the centuries. By consciously recog- nizing the influence of this history, we can free ourselves of it and let go of the reflexive impulse to roll sod over the entire landscape.
Our addiction to impeccable lawns and soldier rows of vegetables and flowers is counter to the tendency of nature and guarantees us constant work."
--
Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
(Paperback)
Billy wrote:

Yes!!! At least sheep provided manure as the chomped. I have fantasies of having living lawn mowers (but, even better) no need to please anyone with my, um, lawn.
--
Jean B.