Weeds in Moss

I've seen it before on the Web and this news group and am hoping for new ideas.
I have a yard that is heavy shade and therefore all moss. Well, that is when we moved in. I think the housewife living here before us had the time to go out every day and pull weeds. Now weeds are growing in the moss. It's all kinds of weeds, not just broadleaf.
How do I get rid of the weeds but keep the moss?
Roundup kills the moss. Pulling the weeds by hand is out of the question. Maybe a pre-emergent next Fall (although since I live in the South, I expect the weeds to live all year)?
Go out and remove all the weeds by hand very carefully.

thanks for the tip about Roundup, I'm forever trying to get rid of moss. You can have all mine if you want it

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

If pulling the weeds by hand is out of the question, then likely so is keeping the moss. Mosses are easily harmed by toxins, & there is no magic poison to kill everything but the moss & you. You could strip areas the weeds had taken over then re-moss the area by whizzing up bits of moss in a mixture of water & buttermilk, & spray that mossy soup on the cleared area to get the moss to regrow. Where the weeds aren't so aggressive so you wouldn't need to start over for the moss, just buckle down & pull the weeds.
Moss is a great matting shade-groundcover that should be more often & intentionally utilized. But a weed suppressant it is not.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
from snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) contains these words:

Mosses are easily harmed by toxins, & there is no magic

Actually there is; it's a weedkiller called paraquat in the UK. I'm not sure if it's available over there or under what label.Years ago I read that tip in a gardening mag and tried it out to make moss paths in the wood,,works fine. Take care though, its nasty stuff..wear gloves, and use a watering can rather than a spray to avoid inhaling.
Janet

Since I don't use chemicals I have no personal experience, but paraquat was supposed to be highly non-selective & could be used to kill ALL plantlife in a given area, though not at the formerly recommended concentrations. It best killed weedy winter annuals, followed by broadleaf weeds lacking taproots (taprooted weeds like dandylions survived it at the concentrations that were formerly legal), followed by grasses, but only retarded moss growth so virtually all of the old paraquat products added diquat for full eradication of moss too. These products are generally no longer available because of extreme hazard.
It claimed to be mostly harmless to large woody shrubs & trees so was very commonly used on tree farms. It harmed beneficial insects, washed into watersheds killing & deforming frogs & into streams & lakes killing fish, & is a possible human carcinogen. It is banned in many countries since a single teaspoon would kill a human (there is no known antidote), or cause fibrosis of the lungs for whoever unfortunately survives, & accidental exposures causing death or permanent injury had become so commonplace that country after country began banning it despite the manufacturers PR blitzes insisting on its safety, & the easily lobbied EPA's slowness to admit how dangerous it is.
In the United States it is classified a "restricted use pesticide" (herbicides are categorized as pesticides) & is no longer available for general use in gardens, though it was not very long ago paraquat was as common & overused as RoundUp is now. It is illegal to obtain without a special handling permit for certified applicators, who are banned from using it around homes, schools, golf courses, playgrounds, or recreational areas -- it still gets used on crops & near watersheds unfortunately. I thought it was banned last year in the UK too but if you can still buy it I guess not.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
paghat wrote:

Some sicko in the Portland area got a hold of some, and used it to poison meat he (or maybe she) would leave around public parks. Dogs would find it, and before anyone could stop them, they'd start eating it. They died painful deaths.
Given it's relative availability compared to other agents as lethal, my bet is that if there is a significant terrorist chemical attack, parquet will be what they'll use. This is not something that typical home owners who barely glance at labels should even have available to them. There are few situations that cannot be handled less lethally, and more effectively in some other manner.
--
Warren H.

==========
from snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) contains these words: I

I'm not sure we can either...that was my one-off trial a long time ago.
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

I think that's what they used in Mexico to kill the marijuana... back in the days when I was up on that kind of thing. So then kids were smoking pot with weed killer. What a combo.
Tony

The easiest way I've found is this: I mix up a bucket of roundup to strength, and then, using black rubber waterproof gloves, I dip my hand in the roundup and then draw the weed through my fingers, coating the weed with roundup but not drenching the moss. For stubborn weeds like onion, you can add a surfectant like simple dish soap or horticultural oil. Once you get the hang of it you can go very quickly.
email: snipped-for-privacy@beyondgardening.com
Thanks for the ideas.
I'm afraid there is too much for transplanting.
The rubber gloves in the Roundup is a great idea. I had heard of a paint brush in Roundup, but this sounds much easier.
Some herbicides generally don't work on moss sort of, as they are designed for plants with roots that grow differently than moss (which has rhizoids instead of roots). However, all herbicides will damage the moss if not kill it. And for my particular moss, I sprayed a non-essential area with Roundup and it died.
Paraquat was used by Mexico to eradicate marijuana fields a number of years ago. I recall the U.S. helped fund the effort, which caused controversy due to the harmful effects of paraquat. Of course, we can never win the so-called "War on Drugs" and should stop wasting taxpayers' money and open real drug stores with federal taxes to earn the government money, accompanied by strict laws similar to DUI laws, only harsher (like DUI laws should be). But that's a discussion for another news group.
Have you tried any long-handled weed removal tools? There are around a dozen different types of very precise weeds that can dig out the roots without harming adjacent plants. You can see a good variety of these weeders on the Ergonica World of Weeds: www.ergonica.com. Save your back and eliminate the risk of toxic chemicals by using mechanical solutions designed for the job.
Ray _____________________________________________ Talk about weeds: World of Weeds www.ergonica.com