weed suppresant membrane

am working on a garden that has weed suppressant membrane covering all the flower beds. Is this neccesary as it makes it difficult to dig and cultivate and plant new plants. My thinking is it would be better to remove it so beds can be improved and made ready for further planting
--
ttg

ttg;880693]am working on a garden that has weed suppressant membrane covering all the flower beds. Is this neccesary as it makes it difficult to dig and cultivate and plant new plants. My thinking is it would be better to remove it so beds can be improved and made ready for further planting
depending on how large an area u are talking about and how long the barrier has been down it might not be a huge chore to remove but if u dont want it there then get rid of it. some ppl like using landscape fabric or other barriers to help keep weeds under control, but others dont care for it at all. if u do decide to keep it u can cut out the area that u wish to add new plants into and then after doing so apply a new layer of mulch. i guess everyone has their way of doing things ;). good luck :). cyaaaaaaaaaaa, sockiescat:).
--
sockiescat

And as organic material finds its way onto the barrier, you will get new weeds growing on top of it anyway. Weed, newspaper, and mulch (in this case, they are verbs).
so, is the newspaper supposed to be superior to the landscape cloth ??
James
And as organic material finds its way onto the barrier, you will get new weeds growing on top of it anyway. Weed, newspaper, and mulch (in this case, they are verbs).

In cost, yes. In suppressing weeds in the short term, no. In suppressing weeds in the long term, yes, because you won't have to excavate it to clean it off. If you have new weeds, lay down more paper or cardboard. It suppresses weeds (in conjunction with mulch), for the year. One of my beds is being encroached on by Purple Dead-nettle, and I'll paper it over, and mulch it in about a month. There will be potatoes in that bed this year and the Purple Dead-nettle is a companion plant for potatoes, so I'm not too worried about it. The other beds are weed free except for the occasional wild onion (which get pulled), and cleavers (Galium aparine - L.) in the corner of another bed. I'll pull those cleavers but I have a small area of my garden devoted to cleavers. http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Galium+aparine

Not to mention the fact that worms love cardboard and newspaper...anything to encourage them.

Yep, but they play hell with the cat coat.
As to the taters, I just received my LaRattes, French Fingerlings and Yellow Finn and have them at temp and in light to get the sprouting going. Given my limited space, I am growing them in cages made of cattle panels, approx. 4ft x 4ft by at least 4ft ht. (the panels are 5ft). THe plan is to plant on soil, add cardboard sideboards and chopped straw/leaf mulch as they grow. The plan also includes pvc pipe inserted through the sides to the base of the plants in order to more easily supply fishjuice and other liquid nutrients to the base of the plants.
We'll see.
Charlie, wondering about the garlic being covered with snow (removed the deep mulch three days ago) and wondering about covering it tomorrow night as the temps will possibly hit the low twenties and wondering if !!*shazamm*!!, gary garlicman will read this and give me a clue. Still, should be in the upper fifties in a couple days