Weed-resistant grass?

My large lawn seems to always attract weeds and crabgrass. I'm out there weeding 3-4 times a week. I marvel at lawns that are green, thick and virtually weed-free. Is it the type of grass they are using that makes the difference? If there is, I'm willing to take out the current lawn and plant or roll out a new weed-resistant lawn. I live in WEstern Washington state. Thanks.

Reply to
tenplay

All lawn grasses are weed resistant to some degree. They should be cut to their ideal height so other grasses and weeds are cut too short allowing the chosen lawn grass to dominate the area.

I live in Middle Georgia where Centipede grass is my favorite, but I also have Hybrid Bermuda and St Augustine in places. Each of these grasses has it's own desirable characteristics. The Centipede is pretty resistant to drought and needs little fertilizer, just water and cut most of the time. The Hybrid Bermuda tolerates more foot traffic than the others and St Augustine grows in shade, like the North side of the house. I never tended a lawn in your part of the county and think you should be looking to local sources for information as to what kind of grass will work best for you and how to care for it.

I'd suggest you start here:

Hal

Reply to
Hal

And a lot of care, and water, and fertilizer, OH and cutting and aerations and a lot of care, and water, and fertilizer, OH and cutting and aerations and a lot of care, and water, and fertilizer, OH and cutting and aerations nd a lot of care, and water, and fertilizer, OH and cutting and aerations. And did I mention nd a lot of care, and water, and fertilizer, OH and cutting and aerations.

Plant gardens and do away with the grass!!!!!!! :)

Marc

Reply to
Marc