Weed Field Tomatoes

I just can't resist telling this story! Many years ago, a friend invited my wife and I to a picnic. There were about 50 people there. Beer, fresh catfish and trout frying in cast iron pans, a big butcher kettle over a wood fire loaded with kettle meat from last falls butchering. It was a great time we had here in the hills of PA. Come about 7:00 pm that evening just as the picnic was beginning to wind down, he ask me: would you like some tomatoes to take home??? Well being the tomato lover that I am, I said: yep, sure would! He then preceded to lead my wife and myself up a hill to a big flat field full of weeds about chest high. Them weed had to be at least 3 maybe 4 foot high. After a bit of searching around he said: yep here they are. Tomatoes sprawling all over the ground in every direction and some of the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen. We left the picnic on a grateful note with a grocery bag which contained at least 30 tomatoes and they were great! All grown in a weed field. Can you imagine that?

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN

Life can give us unexpected abundance! But tomatoes? Nice friend!

Donna in WA

8-9

Reply to
Lelandite

"EVP MAN" wrote

Sure! No staking really works with container grown sorts so they 'slump over to the ground' and you still gets loads of them.

Reply to
cshenk

Hi Rich, Many years ago we used to find tomatoes growing along the railroad tracks in SW Philadelphia. We couldn't figure out why someone would plant vegetables in such an unlikely spot till a few weeks later we saw some guys on a track maintenance car eating sandwiches on the back of the rail car and tossing the remains onto the rail bed beside the tracks.

Sorry to say, days before PCBs were a concern, that we gathered up a lot of those tomatoes and took them home to eat.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Greetings Jon. When I was a kid we used to go over to the city dump and shoot rats. There were tomatoes growing all over the place but we never ate any because of the unsanitary conditions they were growing in. Guess they will grow just about anywhere.

Rich

Reply to
EVP MAN