weed control

Page 2 of 2
chen;877522 Wrote: > OK I have gotten a lot of responses, and no I am not trying to kill

This is my first time on this forum, i love gardening and have not done so outside uk but i suggest you find a positive in your situation, focus on what is growing that you are having success with, if you are doing really well with vegies or have huge sunflowers why not grow more of the same, give the weeds a bit of competition. Weeds can only spread where they have the space to do so. After it has rained the weeds can usually be lifted out more easily.
--
mirandamc

4 inches of mulch is not enough for many weeds - they will poke right through, especially if it is loose mulch. I've used ground cloth covered with mulch with great success - that stops the weeds from coming through, but they will sprout and grow in the mulch if you don't keep an eye on it.
Chemicals do little good in the long run. The chemicals we use in our garden are not even a drop in the bucket compared to what the farmer down the street does to us, so I generally ignore the "planet killer" accusations. Hypocrites need to focus on the big polluters in the farm fields, not the little boys like you and me. Having said that, the only chemicals I've found that worked well was roundup for spot control (not near the garden), fungicide for the fruit trees, and a neem-Piperonyl Butoxide mixture for aphids and flea beetles. Plus some good slug bait. You won't find any chemicals for week control suitable for usage in the garden.
Just go out every day and pull a few weeds. Weeds don't grow so fast that you can't keep them in control in a small garden this way. Notice I said every day, not once a month. If you don't have time to tend your garden several times a week, you need to consider some other form of gardening where you have greater control over what grows, including weeds.