Weather in NY

A week of temps in the 50s. Rain off and on, and fog most of the time. My peas, lettuce, and broccoli are loving life out there, but my poor cuke, tomato, pepper, eggplant, and such seedlings are whining at me from the window, "We want sun! We want sun!"

Sigh.

You can please some of the garden some of the time, the rest of the garden some other time, but give up on pleasing all of the garden all of the time...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Have a Jimmy Dean breakfast product and maybe Mother Nature will start to cooperate :) I don't know where you are in New York but I spent most of my in the Binghamton area so I remember your pain. Hang in there, June will be there before you know it. MJ

Reply to
mj

Lol! I know what you mean.

Here in the U.K. we have had the coldest winter for 50 years, followed by the warmest april for 350 years, AND the worst drought in over thirty years.

This has lead to alot of plants dying of stress over the last couple of months and the majority of the garden being over a month ahead, with tonnes of stuff blooming and going over even before the summer is here!

It's going to be interesting to see what happens in june, whether we are gonna get a dull period where no alot is flowering like you tend to in late july or early august?

Reply to
Drobium

I spent some time researching past weather records for where I live, including developing four different spreadsheets. I used the results to create a Web page about my climate; see . Now I'm beginning to believe there is no such thing as "typical weather".

While generally 75% or more of our rainfall occurs from the beginning of December through the end of February, it's raining right now. Since the beginning of May, we have had 0.20 inch. Many years we get NO rain from the end of April through October.

May is supposed to be a mild month with an average low temperature of

53°. Last night's low was 44; the night before, it tied a five-year low of 42.

Between the rain and low temperatures, local mountains are expecting snow today. That even had the TV weather personalities surprised.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I'm in Rockaway- New York City.

And I swear some of those lettuce plants have doubled in size in the last 3 days.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

It is bad here in Michigan also. My garden area is sill muck. My lawn was mowed today and was very tall and wet clumps and tire streaks left behind. Today was a nice day got up to 70F. Tomorrow looks nice also. Scattered Rain for Sunday thru Wednesday. Will it ever dry out?

At least my rain barrels are full incase of a early dry pattern.

Reply to
Nad R

The northern catskills are saturated and we had colossal thunderstorms today. I mowed once last week but it's already grown a foot and now the ground is much too soft. I have my veggie seeds planted in peat pots and they are doing well but are indoors... it'll probably be at least two weeks before the ground dries enough to work, if this rain ever stops. I even bought some of those plastic sawhorses and half sheets of plywood so I could put my seedlings out in the sun during the day so the bunnies can't get them, but there's no sun and they'd just wash away. At least I don't need to water my new trees. The geese and ducks are loving it... they are such teases with how they stand there in the blinding torrent posing like it's a body wash commercial... I love how the Canada geese stand tall, flex their wings, and flaunt their huge breasts. ;)

Reply to
Brooklyn1

Same here in Michigan. Also with all this rain... The mosquitoes are huge and becoming numerous....

Reply to
Nad R

This sounds like the kind of situation that calls for raised beds, where you can better control the composition of the soil as well as its moisture content.

HB

[...]
Reply to
Higgs Boson

I thought the state bird of Michigan was the mosquito.

The best defense against Michigan mosquitos is a crucifix, a large crucifix, and you have to hit them with it hard ;O)

Reply to
Billy

ds and fungi :-P

ther contamination? Like bleach or something else? Of course it would hav= e to be "mild" enough not to harm plants when it is eventually poured on th= em.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I put nothing in them. My barrels are small with an open top, only forty gallons each under each of the five downspouts. So they fill up fast and then overflow. The over flow seems to keep bugs and green muck (a scientific term here) from forming on top. I use them one at a time. If it does not rain and I see bugs or green muck then I will top them off from my well water or top it off from another barrel so it overflows until muck is gone.

However, the green muck does not bother me. Mosquitoes tend to come from the drainage ditches or my 1/2 acre pond. Which I can also be used to feed the garden. However, I prefer the pond full and use the barrels or the well waters hard line ( non filtered). The rain barrels are more convenient. When the pond gets low the edge is a muddy muck for more mosquitoes. I do have a hand pump also from the pond... Just in case of severe drought and not over use the well (expensive).

Things are starting to dry out now. Just a scattered shower each day instead of the long rains. Memorial Weekend is usually the big garden planting time here in Michigan. This weekend may still be too wet for the main canning garden (about 5,000 sq ft). I will get the smaller kitchen garden (about 64 sq ft) going that are raised beds near my back deck.

Reply to
Nad R

If you aerate your pond that will cut the mosquito population way down... keep that water moving and mosquitos can't breed.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

it does have aerator pumps in the pond. I however do not need them on windy days the pond is big and last tested good for potability. I will turn on the pumps on those hot summer days with little wind. Those pumps are costly to run. A big mistake not going with windmills instead, but they cost money also and does not work on those windless summer days.

I learned to live with them, stay inside after a rain and before it gets dark outside. When the sun shines the bugs seem to go away. I wear light weight long sleeve shirts and spray my clothes with a bug repellent when they get bad. Mid summer misquotes seem to go away.

Reply to
Nad R

One thing we Michiganders will get in a couple of weeks here are the infamous May Flies swarms... Turn out the lights... and learn to live with nature.

Reply to
Nad R

I would have a windmill anyway, they'll work when they do but even on calm days they look nice. Unfortunately everything to do with ponds is 'spensive.

Brooklyn1