Wax myrtle common myrtle

In the USA people have a plant called Wax Myrtle. Is that related t
(or completely different from ) common Myrtle (Myrtle Communis) which we grow in the UK
-- davholla

Wax Myrtle (Myrica cerifera) is grown in Southern US and Northern Bayberry (Myrica pensylvanica) is grown in Northern US. HTH

There is also a Pacific Wax Myrtle, Myrica californica.
Emilie, NorCal

They are different, in completely different Families. Wax Myrtle, genus Myrica, Family Myricaceae Common Myrtle, genus Myrtus, Family Myrtaceae
Common Myrtle is a commonly grown plant in California. Emilie NorCal
mleblanca Wrote:

Thanks for that can either of the two american types be bought in th UK
-- davholla
These are some of the 'types' that are common in America: Myrica californica; Myrica cerifera; Myrica gale; Myrica hartwegii; Myrica heterophylla; Myrica inodora; Myrica pensylvanica. If you do a search, you will find some(all) of them in the UK.

That I don't know. But I would think that you could find one of those species mentioned by told2b. Many native California plants are happy in the UK (Fremontia, Ceanothus, CA Poppies) so maybe the Wax Myrtle is also. Hope you can find one of them. mle