watering tomatoes wit

FamilyNet Newsgate
LB>> Thoughts on this: LB>> 1. In a really hot climate, the water evaporates as fast as it drips out. LB>> 2. Tomatoes seem to benefit more from a deep watering that promotes deep LB>roots. LB>> This provides mostly surface water and shallow roots. LB>> 3. If you're going out to the tomato plants to fill the plastic bottles, w LB>> not just water the tomatoes while you're there instead of filling bottles? LB>> LB>I've always put large coffee cans around my tomatoes as soon as I plant LB>them. The cans are buried in the ground a couple of inches. This not LB>only seems to prevent cutworms but makes watering simple - just fill the LB>cans. Had very little blossom end rot.
LB>This year I tried without the cans. About the same amount of water, at LB>least I thought so, but I got much more BER. I think the cans LB>concentrate the water in a small area so it goes much deeper.
I use cut out gallon jugs similarly with equal results for several years now in suburban Boston,MA. I think it also concentrates the application of fertilizer to the plants (and limits it to producing more weeds).
Ciao, Ack.
SLMR 2.1a You are jealous because the voices only talk to me.

FamilyNet <> Internet Gated Mail