Watering Shrubs Neccesary Daily in NE USA?

I live in the NE USA and my front landscape consists of arborvitae's, junipers, holley's, a bloodgood, a cherry blossom, various small plants, etc. These all sit on the NE side of my home that gets mostly half sun/half shade. The cherry blossom and bloodgood gets more sun, in the range of about

3/4 sun and 1/4 shade.

Recently, I setup a neat little Nelson sprinkler system surrounding these shrubs and set a timer to sprinkle them twice a day at 7am and 7pm, for 15 minutes each session.

Should I be watering these shrubs this often, this long, or at all?

Reply to
Billy

That kind of watering practice leads to a very shallow root system with no real drought resistance. It would be better to have it lay down an inch of water in the morning so and it can dry off of the foliage whenever you see the soil is dry. Wet foliage overnight is a bad practice. Maybe 2" this time around it's been dry here. Increasing the organic material in your soil and adding a mulch wll also help preserve soil moisture.

Reply to
bamboo

Reply to
presley

Ok, yes, they are established (2+ years). I just thought that a daily watering would make them appear more robust during the hot summer months, especially during a drought. However, I also have flowers under eaves which I'm going to setup sprinklers for too.

One more thing.....Is it possible to plant flowers such as petunias, marigolds or impatiens at the beginning os summer in June/July? Is this too late in the season since Spring has already passed and temperatures are getting hot? These plants will be sitting under these sprinklers and getting water daily.

Reply to
Billy