watering question

I got my 8 ft red maple transplanted and am hauling water to it. So far it's gotten 5 gallons of water but I really don't know how much water and how often. Any advice?
Kate Nashville TN
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 08:36:45 -0500

Hi Kate,
The best is to water it heavily, but less often. How much will depend on the earth and exposition, but assuming good deep soil I'd go for 100 litres every 8 days or so.
Assuming you mean A. rubrum they're fond of a drink. ;)
-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelkadell.applecom
Emery Davis wrote:

Apparently so - wow! I'm going to have some muscles. How long should I keep this up? I planted the tree 5 years ago and probably watered it some it's first year but never have since but I'm willing to go the distance to make sure it survives.
Thanks,
Kate
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:49:49 -0500

[]100 litres every 8 days or so.

Just this year, once it has a winter under it's belt it'll be fine on its own. I assumed from your post it was a spring move, not from the fall.
In any case if you've got a wet spot or get a little rain you can let off a bit. Otherwise, that's why God created tractors! :) Good luck with it, a nice tree.
-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to snipped-for-privacy@ebayadelkadell.applecom
I would give it really good deep watering once a week to 10 days if you don't have any rain in that time. One of those ground soaking hoses will not only be a time /water saver but also a back saver
--
:) Lynn

"kate" < snipped-for-privacy@thisaintreal.com> wrote in message
Thanks, Lynn. In my neighbor's yard, where the tree got transplanted to, we like to do things the hard way. No stinkin' hoses with tap water for us. :) The water must sit out 24 hours so the sun can burn the chemicals out.
Kate
Lynn wrote:

To really make sure you burn the chemicals out you may want to let it sit for couple of weeks. The particularly nasty chemical I have in mind is dihydrogen monoxide, which can cause fatal breathing afflictions. Hope that helps.