Watering plants with aquarium water

I have a 150 and 60 gallon freshwater tanks. I soaked my plants with about 10 gallons of used tank water today. I am thinking the nitrates will be very beneficial to the plants. The tank water has immediately assimilable nitrogen so that should alleviate the need for chemferts. Will report back later. Chlorine cannot be good for them is my thinking and my tanks are chemical free. Ph is about 6.6. Should be good.
Paul

Hi, Paul, and please do check back to let us know how it went. I only have a 3 gallon fish tank but have wondered how good it would be for plants. I have used on outside plants but not sure about my indoor plants.
Donna in WA 8-9
Lelandite said:

Way back when, before I had a yard and garden and offspring, I had aquariums and lots of indoor plants. I always used the water from aquarium water changes on my plants, and they were very fine plants indeed.
I still have a few of the plants (all at least 20 years old, two are over 35 years old now) but no aquariums. They are not quite the same happy plants they used to be--they miss all the attention they used to get. Or maybe it's the aquarium water they are missing...
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Aquarium water is no different from pond water... many people where I live pump water from ponds to water plants during dry spells... fresh water that supports aquatic life may not be of more benefit than rain water but it can't harm plants.

You can always set up another tank.
Paul
Paul M. Cook said:

pet that can actually come out to play (sort of).
But, keeping up tradition, used substrate and poo goes to benefit my plants--after a trip through the compost pile.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

In article

Hmmm... A pet snake???? Do you have a tattoo of a dagger on your left leg or a large dragon on your back? That would go well with a pet snake personality type :)
I thought about at one time getting a temporary holding lobster tank :)
--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Dan L. said:

*tsk* *tsk* invalid stereotype
I'm more a natural history / bug collecting / birdwatching type.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI