WATER RESTRICTIONS IN DROUGHT AREAS

Georgia is in the forth year of a severe drought and as a result watering restrictions have been put into place. There is one aspect of the rules that few people are aware of. According to the Atlanta Constitution, under the statewide rules, new landscaping installed by a professional may be watered daily for 30 days after installation, and food gardens can be watered any time. It is possible that other states may have similar rules.:

www-raised-garden-bed.com/

Johnny

Reply to
Johnny

The last time drought resulted in restrictions where I live, retail water providers were given an allocation by the area-wide wholesale agency equal to 90% of their past four-year average usage.

The wholesale agency gave extra allocations to those retail providers in agricultural areas, but only enough to irrigate orchards and vineyards that were between 1 and 3 years old. The theory was that older plantings should have deep enough roots to survive reduced irrigation while the investment in newer plantings was small enough to be lost. No extra allocations were given for produce plantings (e.g., commercial tomato and strawberry farmers) or for ornamental landscaping. Definitely, no extra allocations were given for home vegetable gardens.

Our local retail provider gave all households an equal allocation, dividing up the retailer's allocation among all households. If you used more, you paid double for the excess.

My soil is expansive, shrinking as it dries and swelling as it becomes moist. I cut back on my garden watering during that drought. The drought ended with a very significant rain storm. Read my to see what happened because of reduced watering; skip the box regarding the storm of 2005 and go to what happened in 1992 (third paragraph below the box).

Reply to
David E. Ross

Odd. Normally when there is a drought in California, all of us in the north have to put a brick in our toilets and watch southern Californians washing their cars on the news with water running down the street. So much water is sucked out of the Sacramento river that the fish have a hard time surviving. Fish = food = jobs here in northern California. Construction has been so heavy here that the local river (Russian River) may go back to periodic periods of drought (no water). No water = no salmon = no food, no tourism = fewer jobs. Screw Mexico, it's time to seal the California border. Guard towers every 100 yards sounds good to me. If people want out, let 'em out but don't let them in. If Mexicans want in, OK. It was their country before we stole it. We are the 7th largest economy in the world, we should tell Bush to piss-off. And thats on a good day.

Bill Rose