Water Conservation

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know o
any good products to divert/harvest rain water??
-- billiebobuk
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk

Why the concern? Water is not something that we consume when we use it. We just borrow it. Regardless of the useage, the water goes back into the water table after we have used it. The only exception is that portion which evaporates and that precipates back to earth.
There may be local water shortages but the earth's supply is nearly limitless. There is more water on earth than any other commodity. Most of it is salty but desalinization processes exist - ask Aruba.
John
John Bachman wrote:

Considerable amounts of rainfall run off- via drains, streams, creeks, rivers, into Bays or Oceans directly. Hardly going to the water table.
Billie-
Where do you live? Do any of your neighbors have cisterns?
--
john mcwilliams

Isn't there some current flap about Sonoma County Water Agency and rationing or a mandatory reduction? Or is this simply another journalistic flap?
Charlie

Stop development? heh heh.......that is going to happen on it's own accord, but that is another story, neh?
Usually is pretty slow out here in the flyover. Just runnin' some checks on weather and such and somehows saw something about Sonoma County, oh yeah, it was a global warming and CA wine production article, and you know, one thing leads to another, and here we are, and there you are and this is it.
Later, cold ones are a needin' some attention and blinks aneedin' watchin'.
BTW........county fair time tomorrow evening. Lovey and I are taking Elder G-son to the County Fair for Terrifying Rides, Corn Dogs, Cotton Candy and all those other Goodies that are guaranteed to plug yer arteries and stop your heart. Hope to see ya' around the next day.
Charlie

Thanks for the reminder.......mine too. Gonna have p/butter and 'mater sammich first......felling a bit peckish. Picked a bunch of Tomisils this evening. Good stuff.
I'll likely eat lots of something tomorrow evening that will allow me to "Fart for Freedom"....great thing, given the local and district politics. Someone must raise a stink.
--
Charlie

On 7/19/2007 6:36 AM, John Bachman wrote:

Where I live, minerals in the soils render ground water unusable even for agriculture, let alone drinking. Our water is imported from northern California, hundreds of miles away.
The total precipitation and ground water (where useable) in the state is already insufficient to meet the needs of people, industry, and agriculture. The only thing that has prevented a crisis is the fact that the reservoirs still have adequate supplies from record-breaking rains two years ago (about 14,565,000 acre-feet in state reservoirs plus additional amounts in recharged aquifers). If the current drought does not end this winter, we will likely face rationing next summer.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Are you talking about devices to re-direct rain into barrels, cisterns, etc?
And/or ways of watering your garden "conservatively"
For the latter, I input some words like "devices for water conservation in the home garden", and got many hits, of which this is only one:
http://tinyurl.com/37bqnk (from H&G). Many others.
For the former, I input words like "storing rainwater" and got many hits, of which this is one:
http://www.buildyourdream.co.nz/eco_collecting_rainwater_house_supply.htm
I'm sure you will find lots of good advice by surfing persistently. Of course there must be books in the library or book store that go into home rainwater storage systems.
Good luck, and thanks for your progressive approach.
Persephone
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk

http://www.rainwaterharvesting.org/index.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainwater_harvesting
http://www.rainwaterharvesting.net /
http://www.aboutrainwaterharvesting.com /
Among many others, google "rain water harvesting"
Care Charlie
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk

Meant to add this UK site...perhaps more applicable.
Care Charlie
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:30 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Crap.........seems I forgot something........*this* site!!! :-)
http://www.ukrha.org /
rainwater tanks come to mind we alss use 55 us/gal plastic drums as well we have pic's of our set ups on our site.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk

With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk

Out here in western Oregon, metal roofs are popular with the rainwater collection crowd. We will probably go that route when we build. http://www.foodnotlawns.com/keyline_water.html http://www.omick.net/water_use/water_use.htm http://www.smartcommunities.ncat.org/buildings/rescon.shtml#water
As the climate in England is similar to that of western Oregon and Washington, examples from those areas (e.g., Portland, Seattle) may be of most use to you.
Another good and simple tool for water conservation is drip irrigation, combined with mulch.
(And yes, even though water recycles nicely, taking care of subterranean aquifers is important. Once they collapse, they don't recover. If you'd like a painless introduction to aquifer collapse, try the Sarah Andrews mystery "Dead Dry". Sarah is a geologist, as is her protagonist. http://sarahandrews.net/index.htm )