Wasp Problem ...

Help, as a result of the hurricane a tree fell on the property behind my house and apparently there was a big wasp nest in the tree. The tree fell so the nest is still on the other property but nest is about 5 feet from my property line. And boy are these wasps mad, thery're swarming all over that back part of my yard. What should I do, give them a few days to calm down and then spray or is there any chance they'll relocate elsewhere ??? I'd call a professional but problem is nest is not on my property but its causing a major problem in my back yard....Any help will be much appreciated

Just after sundown when the wasps go to nest spray it with gallons of the best insecticide you can buy. Pump sprayer works just fine.
Terry Cox wrote:

You need to talk to the property owner. Otherwise it would be trespassing for you to do *anything* about it.
If nobody does anything, the wasps will settle down in a day or two.
Bob

Soon after sundown, spray the nest with wasp/hornet killer. These products can spray a stream 20 feet long so you don't need to get too close. Check the nest the next day, and repeat the spray the next evening. I have always had luck with just one spraying.
:) Help, as a result of the hurricane a tree fell on the property behind my :) house and apparently there was a big wasp nest in the tree. The tree fell :) so the nest is still on the other property but nest is about 5 feet from my :) property line. And boy are these wasps mad, thery're swarming all over that :) back part of my yard. What should I do, give them a few days to calm down :) and then spray or is there any chance they'll relocate elsewhere ??? I'd :) call a professional but problem is nest is not on my property but its :) causing a major problem in my back yard....Any help will be much appreciated
This late in the year I'd be surprised if they will relocate. They probably won't bother you, but if you happen to cross their new flight path an encounter and sting is possible. You may want to contact the property owner, if he hires someone to come remove the fallen tree, they may be walking into harms was, a warning would be nice. If you plan on removing them, usually a night attack is best, but if they happen to be Bald Faced Hornets, which do use trees limbs to locate their nests, they are a good night time flyer, so precaution is still needed. Don't have someone hold a flashlight, set it down and have it pointing where you want it.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
It is said that the early bird gets the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Sound Advice from my experience.
I used to wrap/cover the nest up in a plastic trash bag and pull the cord tight to seal it. Done this many times with my bird houses that hornets like better. Tree limbs may be a lot different.
Any Doubts ? Wait till later and work elsewhere.
GO SLOW
Bill
--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade
Serious Vision Problems? --> http://www.ocutech.com/ Two son's users.

Odds are that at night the skunks will tear the nest apart and eat as many larvae as they can get. Here frost is just a few weeks away and that takes care of them. For the most part wasps are benneficial, before you go pesticide crazy give them a day or two to settle down, you might just be able to tolerate them. If you must, Wasp and hornet spray is really all you need, clear things with the neighbor first, I think a can costs about 3-4$ now and should be good for more than one nest. Read the label, follow the directions.
Thanks and I'd prefer not to use chemicals. Problem is they're swarming anoud the kids play area which is in back of yard. They do seem to be calming down a bit, also nest is inside the fallen tree, no clear shot for chemical spray
or is there any chance they'll relocate elsewhere ??? I'd

that makes it an ideal opportunity to teach the children about making way for nature sometimes. to show "pesticide restraint" and explain what wasps are good for, why we dont just kill em automatically. Ingrid