Wasp Identification

Can someone identify this as friend or foe. I have had no success. The image is not the best, but I did not want to get any closer. She seemed to get very upset when I tried. Anyway, she is currently digging a hole in my garden. I would like to be able to pick the rest of my tomatos without worrying about getting stung.

I am in the Chicago area.

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Ken

In article , k snipped-for-privacy@noooospaamcore.com says... :) Can someone identify this as friend or foe. I have had no success. The :) image is not the best, but I did not want to get any closer. She seemed to :) get very upset when I tried. Anyway, she is currently digging a hole in my :) garden. I would like to be able to pick the rest of my tomatos without :) worrying about getting stung. :) :) You might look up "Golden Digger Wasp" and see if it looks like yours. Or search for "Sphex wasp" and see if it may pull up some others in the same family. Generally this group of wasps won't be a bother...can't think of ever hearing anyone being stung by one, but if you were to step on the female or maybe her opening barefooted it may sting....any males around will buzz close to you but can't sting.

Reply to
Lar