Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub

Page 3 of 3
Vox Humana wrote:

Russian Olive. I had a hedge of those at one house, and the kid next door actually warned visiting playmates not to try to go through the hedge to retrieve a ball or whatever. He informed them they'd better walk around :-).
But they do require pruning/trimming to keep them as a hedge. Otherwise they grow into a small tree.
-- Homo sapiens is a goal, not a description.
Doug Kanter wrote:

The dogs aren't deciding where to stop. Mutilate the owners.
On 12/1/04 5:26 PM, in article Qyrrd.5807$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny, "Doug

(SNIP)
It would have to go to the county IIRC and while I might think it worth it, my lawn hasn't been anointed for quite some time. Right now they are targeting other areas of the general neighborhood.
BTW - go with the rugosas - hardy, pretty, makes the birds happy and the deer don't eat them.
Cheryl

up
more.
are
she/he is

will
simply
douse
it,
I guess it depends on the neighborhood. Here, the town judges are the first stop, county courts the second.
Rugosa sounds like a good choice. 2-3 nights a week when I step outside, there are deer 20 feet from the door, and they stand there and stare at me light I have a lot of nerve for invading their driveway. :-)
Doug Kanter wrote:

Gorse, common hawthorn, or sloe would do it. Also probably some of the hedge roses, or bois d' arc if you prune it into a shrub form.
I'm not sure if honey locust can be grown as a shrub.
Best regards, Bob

Watch out for gorse, it can become a major pest. It's officially a noxious weed in many places.
Barberry and pyracantha are both good. Pick a fireblight-resistant pyracantha. If minor cruelty to animals doesn't disturb you, birds pigging out and getting drunk on pyracantha berries can be amusing.
--
Chris Green

I don't know if it will grow in your area but the nastiest thorns I've ever seen are on hardy orange. Usually grown as a small tree, I've heard of it being used as a hedge. It is a very attractive plant year round with utterly vicious thorns. I believe it's hardy to zone 6. By the way, I still laugh every time I think of that "pistol targets in fur jackets" comment you made a few weeks back.
Keith

ever
I'm glad you found that entertaining! Mostly, I get nasty comments from people who think natural law dictates that I like their dogs.
Whatever shrub you decide, tuck a little prickly pear cactus under it. Opuntia humifusa is cold hardy to zone 5.
The worse thing for an owner of long haired dogs are burdocks. :) Too bad it's unattractive.