Wanted: Deadly, Thorny Shrub

Page 1 of 3
....to plant this spring in a spot where disgusting dog owners like to stop their filthy beasts on my property. Shrub must be capable of inflicting enough damage to send the dog to the vet. I'm thinking of barberry. Open to suggestions for other shrub options. The planting spot receives sun for about 2/3 of the day, and will be buried in snow for 3 months out of the year.

stop
Shame about the snow. I was going to recommend several large variegated Agave but I don't know if they'll handle snow for 3 months. How about barbed wire on some bamboo poles?

barbed
Barbed wire might appear to have been installed with the goal of intentionally injuring the dogs. <snicker>

I don't know where this idea came from...
A small battery operated fan attached to a motion sensor that is attached to a small contraption of cheyenne and black pepper. If the spritz doesn't shoot up too high, I'm thinking along the lines that ONLY the dog will get whiff of it and thus if it's hidden well enough, people won't be apt to steal it.
Or even better yet, get some oil of mating for dogs and put it on something off your property where you can get odd pictures of dogs and neighbors... if there's a remote controlled spritzing device you can spritz the legs of the neighbors...
Hmm. I bet such an item would sell and could be patented.
-- Jim Carlock Post replies to newsgroup.
They DO make a motion activated sprinkler that is supposed to shoo pests away.
Kate
asked about: | > something to stop filthy beasts... | | I don't know where this idea came from... | | A small battery operated fan attached to a motion sensor | that is attached to a small contraption of cheyenne and | black pepper. If the spritz doesn't shoot up too high, I'm | thinking along the lines that ONLY the dog will get whiff | of it and thus if it's hidden well enough, people won't be | apt to steal it. | | Or even better yet, get some oil of mating for dogs and | put it on something off your property where you can get | odd pictures of dogs and neighbors... if there's a remote | controlled spritzing device you can spritz the legs of the | neighbors... | | Hmm. I bet such an item would sell and could be patented. | | -- | Jim Carlock | Post replies to newsgroup. | |
I suspect it only works on animals which are afraid of rain. For the rest, they'll probably get used to it pretty quickly.
asked about:

actually... animals dont get used to it. raccoons for instance will make it their duty to topple the thing if they can. problem with water cannons is they cant be used in winter.
opuntia is hardy under the snow. Ingrid
asked about:

Cheyenne? Wyoming? Autumn? The old TV show with Clint Walker?
Perhaps you mean cayenne.
J. Del Col
snipped-for-privacy@mail.ab.edu (J. Del Col) wrote in asked about: something to

probably meant Shy Anne. You give a raggy Anne doll a stick, hide her in a thicket and if anybody tries to make fun of her or just tries to pass by, she whacks them over the head.
Hey Ricky, When my husband and I bought our first house we had that problem. Everyone in the neighborhood wo was walking a dog let it stop on my front yard.
I just made a simple little sign on my computer, in nice bold lettering. It read:
We don't use your yard for a toilet. Please don't let your animals use ours for one!
It only took a week. Long enough for all the dog walkers to see it, and it stopped! It enabled us to stay friendly with the neighbors too since each of them could blame the other guy LOL
Kate
| > ....to plant this spring in a spot where disgusting dog owners like to | stop | > their filthy beasts on my property. Shrub must be capable of inflicting | > enough damage to send the dog to the vet. I'm thinking of barberry. Open | to | > suggestions for other shrub options. The planting spot receives sun for | > about 2/3 of the day, and will be buried in snow for 3 months out of the | > year. | | Shame about the snow. I was going to recommend several large variegated | Agave but I don't know if they'll handle snow for 3 months. How about barbed | wire on some bamboo poles? | |
Doug Kanter wrote:

What about Pyrocantha

Thanks for the tip. Looks like an attractive plant, too.

I'd think that'd be the best choice. A very pretty "wall" could be grown of mixed shrubbs starting with pyrocantha as about the biggest thing. There are hundreds of varieties of hawthorns, some have three to five inch spikes, most of which would do very well in places with very cold winters & lots of snow. Barberry bushes & rugosa roses are good intermediate-sized impenetrable shrubs, euphorbia crown-of-thorns for something shorter, & vicious groundcovers like some creeping rubra species, or smilex/greenbriar, or dwarf crimson barberry. A natural barrier of spiky plants could be very beautiful, flowery, & winter-berried for year-round color, though one would require enough room in one's yard to steer pretty clear of it while relaxing, & buy some gardening armor come pruning time.
-paghat the ratgirl

spot
3
Rugosa! I lived with a 20' row of those for as many years and loved them. I keep forgetting.
The spot in question is about 50' from the house, on a street corner. There's a street sign, and the town could, in theory, say they need access to it regularly, but I wasn't planning on consulting with them. Anyway...to narrow the choices a bit: I used to have a monster of a barberry next to my garage. It was 8 feet high and 5 feet wide. If I needed to paint, or clean the gutters, I used to squeeze the barberry into a smaller "form" temporarily by wrapping it in Romex - the wire you find running through the walls of most houses. If the town ever needed to do whatever towns do to street signs (like assign 5 guys at $45 per hour to wax it), I'd need a plant rugged enough to be imprisoned and squeezed like I did with the barberry.

I have been toying with the idea of planting some roses, probably rugosa roses, to discourage kids from riding their bikes across my yard. There's nothing quite as nasty as falling into a rose bush! I haven't had good luck with pyrocantha and barberry isn't nasty enough in my opinion.
How about a "whomping willow" like the Harry Potter movies? That would take care of dogs, kids, pretty much anything.
Vox Humana wrote:

I'm probably the only person on earth who hasn't seen any of the Harry Potter movies.

I'm a hard-core film fan who hangs out with other hard-core film fans. Almost none of us have seen any Harry Potter films.
-paghat the ratgirl
On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:55:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) wrote:

LOL, that and .35 cents will get you......
We're getting to callused?
I'm sorry to have not included a description then. There's no need to sully yourself by watching an HP flick. for the purposes of this discussion it's a tree that for one reason or another is very bad tempered and if you get near it, it's likely to reach over and "whomp" you with a vengeance. It smashed up a Ford Anglia once and the latest movie it flings the people around.
I think it's make believe though so I don't think you can order them from your usual suppliers.
I resisted the Harry Potter movies for as long as I could but my 8 and 5 year old are more persistent than I am stubborn. Turns out I enjoyed them after all - who'd a thunk it?
Robert