Wandering Jew

Funny story. Was in home depot with a co-worker. I was getting a pot for some cuttings from a wandering jew plant. He asked why do they call it a wandering jew plant I didn't know, so why do they call it that? Seems like a bad name in these politically correct times is there a better name? The plant I have is called a tradescantia zebrina. Does anyone know how tall then can get? Goggle didn't help. Can they get full sun like outside? If I have a 10 inch pot about how many cuttings can I place in a pot? Does each cutting make a new plant or do I need four or five in one pot so that it looks bushy?

Reply to
Burp

Not sure about the name, but it grew exceptionally well in my shade garden this year. It grew very fast and spread oaver a large area. I took cuttings to keep it for nect year. I stuff 20 cuttings in a one jar of water and grow it that way. It roots fast and easy to grow. Pinch the plant back every month to keep it bushy. Frost easily kills it.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cos it wanders? if you let it trail along groung it will root along the way.

A quick look on web reveals the biblical/mythological nature behind the original phrase 'wandering jew' (bloke offended Son of God and was cursed to 'wander forever' If anything one reads online is to be belived that is..)

Height, Not much about 6 + inches at most.. Its more of a hanger/spreader...

Full sun.. Yes here in the UK but also do well in dappled shade.. I had mine in a basket under a birch and have just moved it into GH against the frosts.

If you're sun is 'really hot' somewhere like Texas etc then mebbe no FULL sun!

It will bush up if you pinch the tips out, but a few more cutting sin a pot give faster results. Flowers nice usually white a yellow in middle..

Various other tradescantia's also nice, I have about 5 or 6 different types.

Reply to
Jim W

"Burp" wrote in news:4xVkb.6495$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

I don't know about the name either, but that story was not funny at all.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Yes, it does seem a bit bad at first. I bought one from Home Depot, it was called something else, but I was told by everyone I knew that they'd always heard it being called a "Wandering Jew". When looking at the growth activities of the plant and the history of the Jews, I don't find anything particularly offensive, but I'm not a Jew, so I'm not the authority. ; )

They don't really get tall, they are more of a vine - they "wander" all over, hence the name. They can grow very long, and are pretty quick growers if given the light and water to do so. In hanging 10" pots, I generally put at least 40 clippings to get an extremely full, dense, bushy plant for the inside. I haven't grown them outside, but most plants grow much more dense and bushy in the sunlight than they do indoors, so I'd imagine that you could use far fewer cuttings.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe

Well we've wandered for almost 5000 years. That particular plant when planted in the soil will wander all over the garden and not root like most running plants will. (That's probably the association with the Jews) Maybe for PC people it is a bad name. It doesn't offend me. It won't get tall. If you put cuttings in a pot (about a dozen in an

8" pot and keep them clipped it can get bushy. But it won't be a satisfactory bushy like a pothos if that is what you are looking for. Pretty colors and can look lush if it doesn't get too much sun.

zhan

Reply to
zhanataya

i have always loved the wandering jew plants and have three specie at this time. rabit ears, mouse ears and the pretty purple/green striped. i don't know what their botanical name is. i got a bawling out once for calling it WJ and i certainly didn't mean to offend. i got chewed out for calling sansevarios (spel?) 'mother-in-law's tongue' but i think the shoe fit the one who got mad! heheheheh !!! since the WJ got a bawling out i call it both of two names.... wandering Jew and creeping Christian !!! lol!!!

i take one leaf with its stem and plant them as thick as i can in the basket by inserting a slit in the soil and sticking them in it then pressing it closed. lee h

Reply to
Lee

Is there a superstition in your part of the world that says it is bad luck to own that plant without naming it?

I don't know if it has to be named after a Jewish person, but that seems to be the trend in the Catskill mountains of NY. I've run across several 'Nate Simons' who all were named after an itinerant peddlar who had a horse & cart full of goodies that he sold in the

1930-40's. [a generation before my time]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Why? Whats wrong with it? // Jim