walnut shaving as mulch?

I have a 33 gal can full of walnut wood shavings, with more on the way. Can I use them as hardwood mulch on my shrubs?

Walnut is reasonably rot proof, so it would be long lasting, but I know walnut trees kill the vegetation around them. Is that chemical contained in the wood?

Hate the idea of sending it out to the trash when I need mulch, but I sure don't need to kill my plants. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

"Toller" wrote in news:sbr5g.7529$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

black walnut? do you like your shrubs?

unfortunately, yes. black walnut mulch would likely kill your shrubs. some plants aren't as affected by juglone though. i have a very healthy dogwood right under/next to a very large black walnut. an apple tree near the walnut was progressively dying as the dripline/root zone expanded. too bad, since it had great apples...

got a neighbor you don't like that needs mulch? ;) lee

Reply to
enigma