walnut shaving as mulch?

I have a 33 gal can full of walnut wood shavings, with more on the way. Can I use them as hardwood mulch on my shrubs?
Walnut is reasonably rot proof, so it would be long lasting, but I know walnut trees kill the vegetation around them. Is that chemical contained in the wood?
Hate the idea of sending it out to the trash when I need mulch, but I sure don't need to kill my plants. Thanks.

black walnut? do you like your shrubs?

unfortunately, yes. black walnut mulch would likely kill your shrubs. some plants aren't as affected by juglone though. i have a very healthy dogwood right under/next to a very large black walnut. an apple tree near the walnut was progressively dying as the dripline/root zone expanded. too bad, since it had great apples...

got a neighbor you don't like that needs mulch? ;) lee
--
If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the
guise of