Walnut in a hedgerow ?

I am planning a country hedgerow with native trees and shrubs mainly spiny as blackthorn,hawthorn,also hazel,field maple,wild privet,dog rose... and wild fruits mainly prunus.

There is a walnut tree (J.regia) growing on this line , I am afraid that the walnut will badly affect the other hedge plants ,what do you think ?

thanks !

Reply to
angel_orto

It very well could affect some of them. Black Walnut roots seep juglone into the soil, and while it's best known for being very toxic to tomatoes and white birch, there are many other plants, trees and shrubs it affects. Try a Google search on "plants affected by black walnut" as an example. I believe the Wiki article on Black Walnut also gives a list, though it is probably not exhaustive.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Whoa, on second glance, I see you describe it as a Juglans Regia (English Walnut). I'm not aware of any problem with other plants and English Walnut, but I'm not sure it doesen't have toxic qualities to other plants. Again, a good search should give you the answers.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Hi Tony ,

Thank for your answers, I know also English Walnut affect with juglone other plants , I made many searches in several languages , I was thinking that in the several British Hedgerows experiences may find some advice !

I was also using the black walnut information but so I find only American species,anyway may be useful !

I will try again as I don't like to fell this tree ,

Angel_orto

Whoa, on second glance, I see you describe it as a Juglans Regia (English Walnut). I'm not aware of any problem with other plants and English Walnut, but I'm not sure it doesen't have toxic qualities to other plants. Again, a good search should give you the answers.

Tony

Reply to
angel_orto

If you want to save the tree, best bet is to only plant outside the drip line of the tree.

Reply to
D. Staples