Wall O' Water - Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone tried this or anything else like it?

think it would cause the plants to over heat, by magnifying the sun rays. Yes, I know this is just to be used during cooler temps, but in early spring you get those peak warm days. Will I have to remove this during those days?

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Play4aBuck

It would not heat the plants as much as warm the water. The theory is that the system insulates the plant.

I use gallon plastic milk jugs. I can put my plants out a month before last frost date with no problem. The jugs are also at the right price: free.

It works best to cut off the bottom and to bury the bottom edge about an inch or so into the soil so the wind won't blow the jug away.

This method works for peppers and any other plants you wish to start early.

I have found, however, that speeding up plants does not necessarily make them fruit quicker. One season I had plants under milk jugs, some not and some from seed planted directly in the garden. All fruited about the same time. We are in zone 4/5. Warmer areas may experience a difference.

Light quality affects tomatoes, or so it seems.

Reply to
Nate

I have tried the w-o-w several times with no success. However, a friend of mine swears by them and uses them every year. So, I guess I am not doing it right.

I got a greenhouse in the bag last year and love it. Not only gets an early start (tomatoes 3 or 4 days earlier than without) it extends the season a bit in the fall also.

See what works for you.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

"Play4aBuck" wrote in news:BRz2c.82313$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

My sister has used them for setting out tomatoes early in the season. They are not sealed at the top, allowing excess heat to leak out. The problem she has had with them is that they stay very humid inside and she has had stems rot if the weather is moist.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

My experience with the WOW"s is that they're a hassle to set up and to take off, and they maybe get a ripe tomato a week earlier than my other transplants. I've decided that the trouble & mess isn't worth that week of earliness.

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill Litchfield