Wahhh!!! The garden's gone!

Between the heat (heat index has been anywhere from 102-125 the last couple of weeks) and the lack of rain, the veggie garden is gone - despite all my sprinkler system watering every day (early morning & again late evening)

The only thing still hanging around are the crowder peas. But they are going downhill fast.

The various tomatoes & peppers are planted in my flower bed among the roses, glads, hostas, & lilies. Thankfully, all of those are thriving! for now anyways.....

Put up some stewed tomatoes in the freezer the day before yesterday. Surprisingly, I had 23 all ripen at the same time, and what's even more surprising is that they escaped my frying pan!

Reply to
rachael simpson

For the surviving stuff, consider getting a roll of dark color window screen, or shade cloth (used in greenhouses), and suspending it over the plants. The screen's cheap. Scratchy to work with, but gloves will take care of that.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

to everything - turn, turn, turn There is a season - turn, turn, turn And a time for every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die A time to plant, a time to reap A time to kill, a time to heal A time to laugh, a time to weep

Funny part, I had heard this on the radio just before reading it!

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Gonna look it up on the net. Have no wheels right now.... never needed shade cloths or screens before either....oh well, first time for everything!

Reply to
rachael simpson

Ironic, huh? That was my "daily devotion" yesterday....

Reply to
rachael simpson

More so!

Now - this is a company a few daylily nuts I know have used in the past

Cheryl Isaak

Mine is gone too, but from a different disaster.

In January 2005, we had a record-breaking rain storm. The slope in my back yard (about the height of my two-story house) decided to become part of my lawn. The ivy and African daisies on the slope tangled in the holly at the bottom, preventing most of the mud from going any further. However, the ground was too unstable for me to climb and pull weeds or tend my grape vines. And the slide ripped out the irrigation system for what was planted on the slope.

It took more than 2 years to get a geologist and soils engineer to do the reports required for a grading permit, to get a civil engineer to draw the grading plans, and the county to process the permit. Only then could I get a grading contractor to even talk to me. The grading contractor has finally finished moving dirt and is now installing a drainage system.

In the meantime, the dirt-moving equipment completely destroyed my rose bed in back and took out 2-3 roses in front. The parkway (between the sidewalk and curb) is now bare dirt. They trashed the trellis on which my star jasmine was growing. My back lawn died because I could neither run the sprinkler system nor reach it to hand water. My artichoke (from which we had a few meals this spring), artemisia, sasanqua camellias, dwarf holly, and others are all history. The sprinkler systems in back and front have been disrupted by the digging of trenches for drains. Of course, they had to strip all vegetation from the hill to repair it, including two very productive grape vines. I look out my window and see bare dirt. I WANT TO CRY!!

The description of my garden on my Web site is from before all this started.

Reply to
David E. Ross

All I can say is, "OUCH!" I'd cry too!

Reply to
rachael simpson

*SNIP*

Thanks for the head's up!

Reply to
rachael simpson

No wheels? How do you get food?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's just temporary. The transmission shorted on the van last weekend. I'm stocked up on goods for now. Got a rebuilt in the works to be placed in the van in the next week or 2 at the latest. In the meantime my mom helps & provides a ride when needed.

Reply to
rachael simpson

"Ma!!! Please stop at the hardware store and pick me up a roll of dark colored window screen!"

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

lol, that would work if she hadn't gone back to the beach already. I'll catch some next week possibly (lowe's or tractor supply), if i don't order...

Reply to
rachael simpson

Oh my goodness. First - that must have been scary. And then the red tape to start over - hope after this is it gets better FAST.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak