Volunteer tomatoes

They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots.
Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots.
They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones I painstakaking planted and labeled and transplanted and...
Be interesting to see what materializes down the line!
Persephone
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

I've had most excellent luck with volunteer tomatoes! They've generally sprouted from seeds that came from fruit that got missed and rotted on the vine, then fell to the ground...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:56:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

I noticed the same thing with my volunteers!
One plant I let go, has nearly caught up with the ones I started in March and, like you said, seems to be healthier. Much better color. We'll see.
Next year I am rethinking my plans.
Charlie
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

I always grow a lot of the "salad" tomatoes and every year I get a good number of volunteer plants from last year's garden. Some of them I transplant and some of them I give to the neighbors. The only down side is that I never know exactly what they will be but neither I or the neighbors care because ANY home grown tomato tastes better than the ones the supermarkets sell.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years
Alsmost always a Cherry tomato. Most Hybrids are mixed with some sort of cherry tomato and they revert back.

I didn't know that about hybrids mixed with cherry tomatoes!
I suspect you're right about my volunteers. Will keep an eye on them and post when fruit arrives.
Persephone

I pulled most of my vounteer tomatoes this year. I did save some peppers. I had a little pear at the end of last season that produced almost all winter until the frost got it.Please post back on what they are. <Persephone> wrote in message >>>

Yep. No pot but a gravel driveway. One leaf lettuce plant decided to germinate, take root, and continue year after year on the edge of the driveway. Ain't supposed to happen, maybe one season, but it keeps coming back. Even last year's drought didn't kill it. 2nd year now. Dave