Vole control idea

To control voles around my landscaping I am thinking of filling the cracks between my sidewalks/patio and the lawn with chicken grit. I have seen a similar product, though much more expensive at a local garden center. I know that voles like to burro under my sidewalks for shelter and I know that little pebbles hurt their feet. Does anyone have an opinion?

Reply to
higgledy

if you are looking for a humane approach, castor oil repels both moles and voles without hurting the little critters.

Reply to
ricks555

I'm curious what part of the world you live. I had no idea what a Vole was until a few years ago, when they nearly overtook a town called Folsom, California. They are still a problem there.

They're very cute, but very destructive.

I worked for a company that had them on-site in El Dorado Hills - not far away! The building was at the base of the Sierra Nevada foothills, which had all sorts of wildlife. . .Deer, Mountain Lions, 5 1/2 foot Rattlesnakes, and especially Voles.

We had a reasonably good pest control company, and they set up little traps near entrances to the building. You know the type, they go in, but they don't come out. There was some sort of bait within the housing of the traps.

I'm wondering if you could put some type of bait down those holes and tunnels you are finding around your place? That's if you don't have pets in your yard. A safer bet might be those type of traps my company used. I've seen them at Home Depot.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Rick- Do you put the castor oil in the holes? How is it applied?

If it doesn't hurt the little critters, does it just repel them, so they become a problem for your neighbors instead?

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat

Here is a website that talks about Vole control:

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl,

from the post, i didn't gather that they were an infestation as much as a nuisance. castor oil down the holes will in fact repel them. if the problem is much bigger, a poison called Rozol, which comes in paraffin blocks, seems to be the best. Push two inch pieces of the rozol back into tunnels where it will stay dry - they won't eat it if it gets wet.

Voles are a Microtus species, there is an eastern variety and a western one. The western variety feeds above the ground while the eastern feeds on the roots and stems just under the surface. You are correct when you say they can infest an area. Voles reach sexual maturity in about 40 days, they have 4-5 litters of

3-6 babies per year, and they feed year round. Do the math and you can see how a population can skyrocket.
Reply to
ricks555

Wow - They are prolific little critters aren't they! I've used Rozol for mice and rats, and had good luck.

I also heard that chewing gum placed in the holes of Moles will kill them as well. . .I don't know if you are supposed to chew it first though;-)

Myrl Jeffcoat

Myrl Jeffcoat