Visiting gardens in UK

Hello, I am from South Africa and have decided that not later than next year is the time l do what l've been dreaming about. Visiting Chelsea flower show. But not only the show, l want to visit some open gardens. Hire a car and visit some small towns and gardens. Its been a dream of mine for many years and next year that dream must come true but l really need some advice as l dont want to do the tour group thing. Any advice will be welcome. Thanks
--
Roselee

On 11/07/2012 16:20, Roselee wrote:

You can look here: http://www.ngs.org.uk / But I doubt that next year's schedule is ready.
Also look here: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/places/gardens-and-parks /
At the time of the Chelsea Show, I would expect rhododendrons and azaleas to be at their best. Some of the larger gardens (eg Exbury) are renowned for their displays.
--

Jeff

The National Trust may offer the single largest list of gardens: but there are many more besides (e.g. Westonbirt Arboretum.) But distances are so small (for a S.African) that you seldom go wrong simply asking one gardener where she visits for pleasure.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs