vines to cover chain linked fence

Hi:

I am having a chain linked fence constructed along the property line (I prefer wood or masonry but budget prevents me from using those). The fence will be six feet tall.

I would like to put some plant that will eventually grow and "fill in" and cover the chain linked fence. I know there are vines that does that. What I am looking for is what variety of vines would be best, or is there anything else I should consider? The fence will be 105 feet in length so I am not restricted to one kind.

Location is Miami, Florida zone 10b.

Thanks in advance for any comments,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

I would suggest that you think about using a shrub like our cherry, cocoplum, ixora, orange jasmine, or any number of others. Vines grow terribly quickly and are a nightmare to maintain, IMO. You'll rue the day. Shrubs you trim a couple of times a year and forget.

If you insist on a vine, I'd use a passion flower. Maybe confederate jasmine.

Reply to
Cearbhaill

There is an infinite amount of plants you can use, and infinite websites to tell you what they are. Here is one:

use Google and put in "evergreen vines for Florida."

Reply to
Jangchub

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:Q-GdnWRGqK9KPlvYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

What sort of temperature is the metal on that fence going to hit come summertime?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

A vigorous vine will eventually cover and shade the metal, making that a non-issue. Yes, there may be some die-back at first; but, in the end, the vine will conquer the fence.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I live in Central Florida and have quite a few vines on chain link fencing that encloses our yard. I have coral vine, pandora,carolina jasmine,clock vine, rangoon creeper and bleeding heart vine among them. The coral vine is a beautiful pink color and I see it a lot in the neighborhood climbing trees and covering other fences. It took a while for mine to get going, but once it did it really took off. It started on a small trellis but soon covered that and I have to pull it out of the hibiscus bush it tries to cover. But it comes off easily and I think it would cover a fence nicely. The pandora I have is on the fence and has covered that in a short time. But it has become a pest in the yard because it seems to root wherever it touches the ground. I pull a lot of that up. The flowers are beautiful though. The vine that covered the most area in the shortest time for me was the clock vine (Thunbergia grandiflora). If I don't check it every few days, it climbs into the tree next to the fence and tries to take it over. I gave one to my mother for her fence and it filled in 3 big sections in a short time.

Mary

Reply to
MLW