Vine type advice

Hello,
I am new to this NG. I have a 5 Ft high page wire fence that runs for aproximately 175 feet. I want to put in a "hardy" leafy perenial vine that will offer some sort of privacy. What would you use and how far would you plant them apart for maximum privacy? I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Thanks for any replies.....Jim

That's a fairly long stretch of fence. Do you get much sun? My first thought is English Ivy but I would need more particulars. I've got a very slow going vine called 5 Leaf Akeebia. It is really sturdy but a very slow grower. If you get a bit of sun, even dappled shade I would maybe go for the Virginia Creeper. They are very hardy here in St. Louis and the fall foilage is very attractive.
Michael
--
This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
Jimi wrote:
Hi Jim Get some Virginia Creepers in 1 gal pots. Plant them on 18" centers.
Derryl Killan Calgary

Hi, Hmm, yes it will work. But keep them trimmed once they cover the fence. I moved into a house where someone took that advice about 30 years ago - we have ivy with stems 3 in. across!! Taming it has been a huge issue! It DOES make the yard more private though, so this advice does work! Colette Courtenay, Van.Isle