Victorian garden plants?

I'm working on creating a list of romantic victorian garden plants and really wanted some that would be authentic to the period. Anyone have any ideas? Blessings, Angela <><

I decided on a Victorian garden for my Queen Anne Victorian - and after looking into what they actually prized, I decided to abandon that idea just go with more subtle stuff like daylilies and roses.
The Victorian period was a long period - and the gardens had a lot of what we today would consider garish - anything big, ugly, odd, bright and bold, exotic, and no subtlety and in-your-face would be a prized garden piece in Victorian times. The louder and the more out of place, the more the proper Victorian loved it.

On 2/1/07 7:56 PM, in article 0M2dnUPgKe2eEV_YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com,

home! C

The Victorian Era was the beginning of the great plant explorations, and many new things were introduced. The Victorians had a great variety of plants, many came from China and all over the world. About the 'romantic' part of your question: there was a language of flowers, in which a flower carried a definite message if sent to a lover or prospective lover. Pansy ( 'to think' pensee (sp?) meant To think of Love. It was considered a bad luck flower to send to a man, however. Bell flower was a symbol of constancy and kindness Daisy was a symbol of innocence Forget me Not means friendship, loving remembrance and fidelity This is all in a book "Garden Flower Folklore" by Laura C. Martin Maybe your library has a copy Emilie