viburnum dying

Hi, folks,
My v. opulus is in trouble. Nearly half of the shrub began to change color to chartreuse,then yellow and now to browning leaves. I see no insects, fungus, there's been no damage. I lost one small section to last year's drought but have nothing to suggest what's going on with it now. It bloomed, is covered with gorgeous red berries - even in the dying section and now . . .
I already lost a V. dentatum. Once section died last fall because of the drought and most of the shrub was dead this spring. I really didn't mind losing it because as either Pam or Paghat once said, the blooms smell like innertubes. I really don't want to loose the opulus, though. The birds love it and it's beautiful.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, Cindy Donnell Richmond, VA, 7/32
On 20 Jul 2003 17:43:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Cindy Donnell) wrote:

Try increase watering. Add some good topsoil to the base.

Highbush cranberry (v. trilobum) bloom smell reminds me of burnt-out older computer equipment. Strange what smells make you remember :)
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@adsfgh.com (dstvns) wrote in message > Try increase watering. Add some good topsoil to the base.

Dan, here in Virginia we've had more than 50" of rain for the year. Drought *this* season clearly isn't the problem.
I agree about the smells. I knew the smell of the dentatum was familiar but it wasn't till I read what Paghat(?) said that I realized it was innertubes I was smelling. :-) Thanks for your suggestions. Cindy Donnell
Cindy Donnell wrote:

It wasn't me - either viburnums smell very pleasant to me (ie., carlesii, etc.) or they have no aroma at all :-)) As to what is happening with your vibs, it may very well be verticillium, a soil-borne fungus that is nearly impossible to detect until it manifests itself by killing your plant. Periods of drought followed by heavy rains seem to set up the stress factors necessary to allow this pathogen inroads and I seem to recall that many parts of the mid-Atlantic states have undergone this type of weather pattern recently. Viburnums are quite susceptible to this problem.
It may be possible to diagnose for yourself. Verticillium will often leave telltale evidence as a darkened center of the stem wood or discoloration/streaking just under the surface layer of bark. Prune out a good size branch that has been affected, one as close to the base/trunk of the plant as you can manage. Cut the stem at a sharp angle and look for this discoloration in the the branch interior or peel back the bark and look for the streaking. It is not always present, but is frequently a good indicator of this problem.
The bad news is that there is nothing you can do for either your plant or to remove the disease pathogen from the soil. You just need to replace with something that is resistant to this problem. Do a google search under "verticillium wilt" - not only will you get some very good explanations and diagnostic tips on this disease, but you will also get listings of plants that are both susceptible and resistant to the problem. Good luck.
pam - gardengal
snips it may very well be verticillium, a soil-borne fungus that is nearly

Viburnums are quite susceptible to this problem.

do for either your plant or> to remove the disease pathogen from the soil. You just need to replace> with something that is resistant to this problem. Do a google search under

Pam, I did the search and think you are correct. I also think it's affecting a Norway Maple in my front yard. I'll cut some branches tomorrow to look for the striping. The Virginia Extension service has pictures of the striping and discoloration so I know what to look for.
Many thanks for your help. Cindy Donnell