Very fast growing purply/pink/bronze shrubs ??

It's me again!

My garden is not huge - about 60 foot by 20 perhaps with a fence either side of around 6 foot. I'll be digging borders wither side but not the entire length of the garden.

I've been researching shrubs/plants etc and have a shortlist but am still looking for ideas.

I am doing a "themed" garden around the purple-pink-lilac palette with a white fence, backdrop of dark ivy. Am looking to find shrubs that do not grow too tall (ie not overs 5 foot) nor too bushy (ie not wider than 2 foot ) else they will protrude too much from the borders, which wont be much wider than around 3 to 3.5 feet. I'd like the shrubs to have a purple-pink tinge (very dark hues OR very light hues of these colours is fine) and when in their "greener" stage to be that silvery green colour like lavender stems rather than green like grass. Or deep mossy green would be ok. If the shrub flowers, I'd like it to be a pink/lilac/purple/mauve or similar or white.

Is there anything that I can buy from an online nursery that will be a good 18-24 inches tall at purchase time and grow RAPIDLY ...if you know of anything, can you tell me how many inches it would grow in a year. I don't really want to buy mature specimen plants at £30-£40 a pop!! But want something I can plant now and see good results with by the end of the year

All these online nurseries fail to mention how TALL their shrubs are when you buy them, which isn't very helpful. They simply tell you it comes in a 1.5L or 2L pot or whatever.

I specifically want to know about tall shrubs or plants that come back year after year, NOT vines (which I've already decided upon)

any suggestions would be very welcome, I've been sat here for 3 full days and nights running researching ideas and my brain is now maxed out with it all !

many thanks........ Victoria

Reply to
Victoria

In case, this is not me, it's another Victoria...

\Look at the Barberry family of shrubs

Reply to
Jangchub

Rhaphiolepis indica has pink juvenile foliage that eventually turns green. It is hardy to about 0F (-18C).

Mine flower profusely in the spring, with large clusters of pale pink flowers. I have a compact variety growing next to my front porch; it grows about 2 ft high and slightly wider. I have a larger variety growing next to the public sidewalk; it grows about 3-4 ft high and equally wide. I bought both in 1 gallon (~4 liter) cans. (While perennials might come in smaller containers (even 1 liter), 1 gallon is the smallest in which shrubs are sold here.)

Some varieties have white flowers. Some have dark pink. You have to research the varieties and pick the one that is close to what your theme requires.

Reply to
David E. Ross