Venus Fly Trap & Water Granules

Hi all,

I am planning on growing a venus fly trap. I've been doing some research, and I understand I need to use canadian sphagnum peat moss for soil.

I also understand it needs to be constantly damp. I am wondering if I can use soil moist granules to this end?

Would these be harmful to the fly trap?

Also, I have read that silica sand should be about 25% of the soil. Unfortunately I have been unable to find any around here. Is this an absolute requirement, or can it be 100% peat moss? Or is there a substitute that can be used?

Thanks for any info!

Reply to
Apple

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the granules. The best way to keep a flytrap moist is to set the pot in a bowl of water and keep the bowl filled at all times.

I'm sure you can find a bag of sand at a local hardware store...just mix that with a peaty soil mix and you should be good to go.

BTW, the hardest part about cultivating these plants well is their need for strong light. These are NOT good windowsill growers. Instead, they need strong sunlight, preferably full sun to very light shading for most of the day. Without this, they quickly languish and die.

---Prem

Reply to
prem_s

Thank you for the info!

One more question - is it ok to feed it ants?

Thanks

Reply to
Apple

Venus Flytrap is native to S.Carolina--very similar climate to my location. They like sun, damp peat moss with high humidity. Do not tease the traps. Do not fertilize. I have not tried the granules, but if you try it and it works well after some months, I'd appreciate an update on your situation. One plus should be that this medium is sterile. Use rain water or distilled water. You could purchase regular "Play Sand." Swirl a cup of sand in a bucket of warm water, allow this to settle 5 minutes, slowly pour off the water, and refill the bucket this 2 more times and repeat--this procedure should remove any harmful salts.

Reply to
Phisherman