Using insecticides on herbs

I'm growing herbs for the first time this year. Little flies/bugs are devouring the basil leaves. Is insecticidal soap the best thing to use?

Something is also going to town on the rhubarb leaves. Should I use the same thing, even though the leaves are toxic (at least, to humans - they don't seem to bother deer and the bugs)?

I would appreciate your expert input. Thanks.

Dora

Reply to
limey