Using Fruit Drunken

Thought of Bill & Charlie.

do this with Peaches and Strawberries. Makes a great gift .

Bill who wonders if jalapeno peppers would work?

Reply to
William Wagner

Never tried it with jalapenos but have done it with Aji Limon de Peru chiles, about ten times hotter. Put them up in 100 proof vodka for a friend who likes vodka and hot chiles. Tried a taste myself but too hot for me. didn't add any sugar though.

Cap and cut off the tip of the chile, cut slits in the walls so alcohol will penetrate. Let set for at least a month then try them.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Using only ripe peaches from my own tree, I blanch the peaches to peal them. I then quarter the peaches and place them in an old-fashioned canning jar (the kind with a wire bail, glass lid, and rubber sealing ring) with cloves, sugar, and cheap brandy. I let the jar stand for 6 months, turning it upside-down once a month and then right-side up the next month.

I had a neighbor who did the same with plums and vodka and with apricots and rum (but without any spices).

You have to be sure to fill the jar to the top with the liquor. Otherwise the fruit floats and is exposed to the air space at the top. The exposed fruit discolors and developes an unsatisfactory texture (although it remains safe to eat). Even with the liquor to the top, there will still be an unavoidable small air space, which is why I turn the jars monthly.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Nah.......the log rolled on me, took a bit o' time to extricate meself. I'm ok now.

WHAAATTT? You never had jalapeno jelly?

Oooohhhhh.......kinda nice stuff, it is.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Never figured out what that means. If it hurts I stop.

Bill ;))

Reply to
William Wagner

Sound advice! We got some old jars circa 1930 ish which I sometimes regret giving away but the gift must pass on as some Indian tribe in South Alaska used to advocate. Blue green and metal clips and rubber. We used too pour hot wax on some things most likely high in sugar. Seems not much will eat sugar except us humans.

Bill

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

This is a go! Thanks, Bill.

Wonder if this would work with cantaloupe?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

OMG.......drunken cantaloupe.......I freekin' LOVE cantaloupe.

I melon = 1 serving......little fresh cracked on it, maybe just a teeny pinch of kosher or sea.

Pavlov's Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Don't know - I love a really good hot pepper jelly. Those are sweet with a kick... C

(snipped some other good stuff)

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak