Using Cedar To Keep Pests Away

I have been using Cedar chips as mulch over the top of old pine straw/needles and pine bark as bedding material around my Azaleas, Camelias, Gardenias and Day Lilies. I've even used it around some of my Rose bushes. As many insects avoid Cedar, it would seem its use a natural for gardeners. Is Cedar as good as it seems? (I haven't had any pest problems.) Does any know of any problems using Cedar chips around trees, bushes and flowers?
Patrick

I've used various cedar mulches in most of our beds. I never thought of the bug repellant aspect. Just in general any mulch should be kept away from the crown and bark of any shrub. Any mulch is a must in my view.