Used coffee grounds?

What is the best way to use spent coffee grounds in my garden? It is made up of mostly sun-loving perennials.
Genevieve zone 9

Go to your nearest swimming pool supply store and purchase a gallon of muriatic acid. Pour your coffee grounds into a mixing bowl and add the muriatic acid slowly, mixing as you go. Continue until you have a thick paste, about the consistency of Elmer's Glue. Apply four tablespoons of this mixture around each annual or perennial in your garden. For large perennials such as hosta, you may wish to double the dose.
Any left over muriatic acid makes a great tooth paste when combined with baking soda.
Your friend, Jan
Why would anyone want to add muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to coffee grounds??! What benefit would this acidic paste have for plants? I've used muriatic acid to etch concrete and had to wear rubber gloves so that my fingers wouldn't dissolve. I wouldn't brush my teeth with it. If you add an acid to baking soda, it reacts instantly. Is this a sick joke?

every now and then you'll get a reply to a question that involves muriatic acid. do a search for rec.gardens and muriatic acid. probably the same person every time.

Yeah, it's a troll that pops up every now and again with the same dumb response. Ignore.
Coffee grounds can be used directly as a soil amendment around any acid loving plant - hydrangeas, rhodies and azaleas, blueberries or pretty much any broadleaved evergreen shrub. I routinely bring home bags from my local Starbucks for such a purpose. Larger quantities can be added to your compost.
pam - gardengal
If you have relatively small quantities then to simply spread thinly on any ground is the best method. Larger amounts; mix in with your compost. Best Wishes.

On 22 Apr 2004 09:14:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Genevieve) wrote:

Add them to your compost pile, paper filter and all.