Update on my Garden

Page 1 of 2
Hi folks!
It's been a while since I tuned into this newsgroup. I have different web access now and it took a while to get the newsgroups thing set up.
I first started reading and posting here three years ago when we had just moved into our new home and faced a "lawn" that was 99% crabgrass and a "garden" that was almost entirely shaded rock.
Thanks to the wonderful advice I got here, I now have a beautiful lawn and a perennial garden that is even nicer than what I was hoping for, despite it being even shadier than before, and without any soil deeper than 8 inches.
This spring I've put together a gallery that shows how my garden is developing from week to week as the gardening year goes by. This is strictly for fun and to get some use out of my new digital camera. It has no ads and never will have.
Keeping visual records this way is really helping me see exactly how and with what speed, the garden transforms as the season passes. I'm hoping that keeping the whole year's worth of records will help me design the plantings better, so that I don't bunch all the flowering in a narrow time span.
You're all invited to see the garden pictures. They're at:
http://www.phlaunt.com/jennysgarden
--Jenny (Zone 5a on the MA/VT/NH border)
Looks to be a lovely New England garden, Jen!
Ctlady NW Connecticut

ctlady wrote:

CTlady,
Thanks! I certainly do have fun with it, though I should have had someone take a picture of me yesterday afternoon with one eye almost swollen shut from blackfly bites. That's one part of New England gardening I could do without.
--Jenny
in rec.gardens

<pruned for space>

Great pics and it looks like you've worked really hard. Thanks for sharing.
Michael
In article snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

Excellent! Keep adding to your gallery throughout the year and next year. I guarantee that as you build up these albums, in a couple of years you'll be looking back at your own albums to see what happened last year at this time.
BTW: I love that waterfall.
Mark,
I'm really looking forward to being able to compare one year to the next. My feeling is that this year is a bit unusual, because I don't remember having so many things blooming this early in June.
Have others in New England noted early bloom this year thanks to our really odd winter? So much is about to bloom now that I'm wondering if there will be anything left to bloom in July!
The "Waterfall" is a crack in the rock behind our house that drains the soil above it. It's close enough to the house that I wasn't entirely happy with it at first since I worried about drainage, but the guy who did the foundation seems to have done a very good job and even with a 10 inch rainfall a few years ago we have always had a dry basement.
Now I love it, especially now that the forget-me-nots have sown themselves in the path of the water. Mark Anderson wrote:

During a warm spell in December here in CT, my moutain laurel started to bloom! I have noticed though that everything this spring is really lush looking.
Have others in New England noted early bloom this year thanks to our

Jenny said:

Oh, thanks for the picutures of the bluets! I always considered them the 'May flowers' of song when I was a kid in Connecticut. Have seen them in 40 years, but I remember them well. They always seemed a bit magical to me...

Pat,
I know exactly what you mean about the bluets!
I grew up in the downtown area of a major city and had never seen wildflowers until I was in my early 20s and moved to a farm way out in the country (not far from where I live now.) The bluets enchanted me and I have loved them ever since.
I'm really thrilled at how many wildflowers have decided to colonize our land. The builder blasted the rock away to build on it, then put all the trees he'd removed into a woodchipper and covered everything on the property but the lawn with literally a foot of coarsely ground mulch. We ended up paying a crazy amount of money to have the mulch removed and trucked away as it was infected with artillery fungus and stinkhorns. When the mulch was removed, all that was left was extremely thin soil and rocks, rocks, and more rocks. It was UGLY, which is one reason I didn't take pictures of it before.
We tossed a lot of packets of wildflower seed on the rock last year, but most of the wild stuff that has moved in seems to be the stuff that already lives in the neighborhood. I'd found the fairy wings and bluets on the logging road behind the house last spring.
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

It's been over a year since I've been to this newsgroup because I had a hard time finder a news server. Then I found Google groups so here I am again! It was so nice to see the photos of your garden. I love before and after pictures too so I hope you keep adding to them so we can see them.
loony
loonyhiker wrote: I love

I'll most definitely be adding to them throughout the season. The problem is limiting myself to a reasonable number of pictures.

Hi Loony It has been a long time! Welcome back Emilie in Nor Cal

Life as it should be.
- Billy Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Oh gawd.....I jest gotta keep de-x-no-archiving to talk to you folks!
Glad you can participate, but google and it's groups kinda......suck and eff-up the Usenet. "Bout like webtv, but kinda sorta different, if you know what I mean Verne.
Oh well, never mind me.......i'm just a Usenet dinosaur.....but I am smelling the end of a really good quiet corner of this here Interweb thingie.
Carry On, don't mind me, Charlie
from Charlie contains these words:

Not any more. Google now displays posts marked x-no-archive for one week, with a countdown display of when it will be removed.. During that time posters using google groups will see those posts and be able to answer them.
Janet
On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:25:46 +0100, Janet Baraclough

Cool. Thanks Janet.
Charlie expounded:

Huh?
wish people would get/use a proper newsreader. But that's progress....right??!?

Eh, people have been predicting the end of Usenet ever since I found it - in 1994. I think it's safe <G>
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

The x-no-archive header addition, supposed to prevent archiving of msgs. I'm not really naive enough to think that msgs *aren't* archived somewhere. Since I don't use googlegroups, I didn't know they displayed the msgs with the no archive header. Didn't do that years ago.

lol I'm sure you remember what the web was like, before it became, in a large measure, jsut another advertising medium. Kinda like the wild wild west back in those days.
It's tiresome and I usually stay out of all the flaming and whatnot about netiquette and that, but I do wish people would follow some of the conventions. Oh, well.

I came aboard in about 96 or 97, like a million usenet years ago for both of us, eh?
You be Careful, Oh Ancient One Charlie

Just came across this article....one of those "not-so-good-things"
http://www.infowars.net/articles/june2007/050607Internet.htm
We all may have much more time inthe garden. ;-)
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

This article is a Liberatarian overreaction. Yes, we may end up having sales tax charged on internet purchases. This won't stop internet purchasing, it will only make the cost more competitive with local merchants who do have to charge sales tax. I've been collecting state taxes on the stuff I sell on the internet all the time I've been a net merchant and it hasn't cut back on sales at all. Someone has to pay for the roads and bridges and schools.
As far as taxes on ISPs go, you pay ridiculous taxes on your landline phone and cell phone. Has that spelled the death of phone use? I don't think so!
Now back to the gardening discussion!