unusual foxglove?

i have a number of standard purple foxgloves in my garden,they have self seeded for many years.I noticed one of them was different to any i had seen befor.The plant has its usual purple trumpet like flowers pointing down,but at the very top,the flower has lost its trumpet shape,its opend up into a disc shape,it has the same colours but is maybe 5 or 6 times the size and has a large center point (stamen?) is this common? i have never seen one like it befor,i will see if my daughter can download a picture tommorow
--
philh

I saw hundreds like that in the forest like that today.
never seen them like that before.
--
BigKev

It's a reasonably well known variant. It's called a peloric foxglove. Peloric flowers occur in other genera as well.
The large centre point is more likely a style than a stamen.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

I don't usually use that many "like that" like that in messages like that.
--
BigKev

BigKev;798184 Wrote:

thanks kev and stewart for your replys