Unknown Trees in Front Yard! Help!

I have just begun preparing my yard for the summertime. I was out yesterday and I noticed 6-7 very small trees beginning to grow throughout the yard- probably 2-4 in tall- but I don't know what they are. They look like small "christmas" trees, with fir-like needles. I don't think they are pine trees, as we have none in the general area of our subdivision. During the holidays I had the christmas tree outside laying down on the lawn for a bit- before and after Christmas.
My questions:
Could these small trees have come from the tree we had at Christmas?
What can I do to take care of the ones I'd like to see grow?
How can I find out more about what I have there?
Thanks for the help!
dsultan wrote:

No.
Let Mother Nature do her thing.

Read.

USDA Zone 8
The birds can carry seeds from other areas and deposit them in your yard. Those may be some type of cypress or juniper. If you like them, leave them and see what happens.
SedumQueen wrote:

How can you call them cypress or juniper? The OP did not provide any description of the things growing. They might not even be trees.
I hate to say it again but something smells fishy.

USDA Zone 8
How can you call them cypress or juniper? The OP did not provide any description of the things growing.
Yes they did. Dsultan said that "They look like small "christmas" trees, with fir-like needles". What else looks like a small Christmas Tree with fir-like needles other than a cypress or juniper type plant?
How can you get away with calling yourself the Sedum Queen?
Would you know the difference between Hylotelephium and Sedum even if one bit you on the butt?

<snipped> How can you get away with calling yourself the Sedum Queen?
Would you know the difference between Hylotelephium and Sedum even if one bit you on the butt? <cut>
Your reply is Off Topic. Be nice and say so in the subject line. Lindakay
To a newbie gardener, horsetail can certainly look like a small christmas tree.
Suzy, zone 5, Wisc.

there are deciduous plants that resemble miniature fir trees- some are ground covers, some are weeds...... usually, but not always, their stems (trunk) will be green rather than brown. A real firs trunk would be brown , even a very young seedling.

On 20 May 2005 12:01:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lmco-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (dsultan) wrote:

I didn't see mention yet of it being a Horsetail (Equisetum arvense). That would be about the right height for them now. They are a real pain to get rid of, if that is what you have. See these links for some more info:
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/weedguid/horsetl.htm
http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/weedspeciespage/horsetail/Equisetum_arvense_horsetail.html
They start out looking very different in early spring, rather like a plantain that looks sickly brown. They are more closely related to ferns, rather than trees.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
(dsultan) wrote:

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/weedspeciespage/horsetail/Equisetum_arvense_horsetail.html
More information or an image is needed to identify your new trees.
There are over 200 weed and plant identification web sites that are listed by region on the World of Weeds web site at www.ergonica.com.
Some of these web sites allow for quick searches by plant features, instead of looking by name or images alone.
Trees can be weeds, too, if they're not in the place you want them to be.
Best of luck in your wild tree identification quest.
Ray _________________________________________________ Talk about weeds: World of Weeds www.ergonica.com