Uneven growth of new lawn

About a month ago I planted a 10' x 10' patch of grass seed using a kit that came with fertilizer. It seems to be coming along well and is almost ready for its first mowing. However, I notice that the growth is very uneven. Some areas have thicker growth while other areas are more sparse. I wonder if spreading the seed mix my hand as instructed by the enclosed directions is a cause, i.e. perhaps I should have used a spreader. Is it all eventually going to even out or should I try to reseed the thinner areas? I live in Western Washington. Thanks. Mike

Reply to
tenplay

About a month ago I planted a 10' x 10' patch of grass seed using a kit that came with fertilizer. It seems to be coming along well and is almost ready for its first mowing. However, I notice that the growth is very uneven. Some areas have thicker growth while other areas are more sparse. I wonder if spreading the seed mix my hand as instructed by the enclosed directions is a cause, i.e. perhaps I should have used a spreader. Is it all eventually going to even out or should I try to reseed the thinner areas? I live in Western Washington. Thanks. Mike

Reply to
tenplay

For an area that size, a spreader wouldn't have helped much. Ignore the unevenness. Grass will spread quickly at this time of year if you don't abuse it. Keep it mowed high - the highest setting you have on the mower, and avoid walking on it constantly. Mature grass will tolerate this. New grass, not so much. It'll thicken and even out soon enough.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Rx: Tincture of time, plus regular watering throughout the summer. Unless you're seeing 2-3" between plants, I would not overseed now.

The best time for starting the usual lawn grasses out here is fall.

Kay (one state S of you)

Reply to
Kay Lancaster